Thursday 30 June 2016

0551 Yellowstone Nat Park


29th June 2016
Close encounters with lots of bison !

I had heard from a number of people that the crowds in the park were making it quite difficult to get around or even to park in a lot of places.  Additionally all the camp sites in the park are fully booked out, so I decided to try to see what I wanted to see in one day, starting early and leaving late.  As a result I woke up in my State Forest campsite just outside the northern entrance of the park at 5 am, and was on the road before 6 am.  It was 1 deg C - No wonder I had been a bit chilly during the night !!  The sun was just coming up, and after a few pics of Cooke City (the furthest east I had got in Elsie in 2012 because of snow blocking the road), I had only just entered the Park and there was a big old bull bison wandering along the road in front of me.  Just him and me – Everyone else was still asleep !

He wandered all over the place, but kept coming back to the centre of the road.  When I tried to go to his right, he would look round at me as if to say “Just try it, buddy”.  I go left, he does the same thing.  And the road was narrow enough that if he decided to swing in the same direction as me, he would collect me before I got past !   But he obviously had no intention of getting off the road for a while, so I had to do something, and eventually I faked one way, went the other – But he still got excited and broke into a run as I passed – But I got through unscathed !   Phew – I think that woke both of us up quite quickly !

For the next hour or two, as the sun came up, it was bison, bison and more bison.  Really nice to see them all, in quite large numbers, grazing in the fields just like they would have a hundred years ago.  Then there was a herd coming towards me – Much easier to cope with than when they are going in the same direction !  So I just switched off the engine and sat there, clicking away.  All was going OK until what looked like the Likely Lads who were keeping up the rear came towards me – Fortunately they peeled off to the side, no problem.  But this just revealed the King of
the Herd coming down the middle of the road, right at the back, straight for me !!  He stopped a couple of times right in front of me, and looked me up and down, as if trying to decide whether my Aussie roo bar would be any match for his skull and horns !  I honestly thought he was just going to walk straight into the front of my car !  Then he just veered off to the side, and you can see how close he was because he only had to swing his head around a few inches and he was in my passenger door !  The photo of him through the window is totally untouched, no zoom, no nothing – He was right there !  I
could easily have reached out and plucked the twig out of his hair !!

Haven’t been on the road an hour yet and my heart has already had 2 workouts !  But it was beautiful to be out at that hour – The animals were all mobile instead of lazing out of the heat in the shade, and there was still very little traffic on the road.  I drove west initially along Soda Butte Creek, and you can smell the sulphur smell as you drive along.  Then you drive along the Lamar Valley, which was just beautiful in the morning sunshine, and after turning left I
headed south towards Canyon Village and then Yellowstone Lake.  As soon as I turned left, I crossed Tower Creek and then the road started to climb, eventually up as high as 8000 feet.  I had slept at 6000 feet last night, so you realize that the whole of the Park is quite high, and it is also quite big, and includes plains, mountains, forests, rivers – Really a beautiful mix of everything.  It is no wonder so many people come to see it.

The climb up to the top of Mount Washburn leaves you surrounded by the whitened trunks of dead trees – Quite eerie. But as you climb you are looking down on the most beautiful green plains that just stretch for miles, and then as you drop down the other side the view of plains is replaced by endless forests stretching as far as you can see.  And every so often you see a cloud rising from the middle of the trees, and your first thought is that it is a fire – But of course it isn’t – It is just steam from one on the many natural geyser basins that are all over the park.

I did a detour at what they call the Yellowstone Grand Canyon, and went to the upper falls of the Yellowstone river – Kind of hard to see  through all the trees, but quite impressive nevertheless.  From there, following the Yellowstone River south through the Hayden Valley there were lots more bison on the move – One group had just come out of the river after having their morning swim, and not only was the steam rising off them as they warmed up, but the steam was also rising off the river as well – Quite a sight in the morning sunlight.

More bison were crossing the road everywhere – And as the traffic built up, you started getting more people either stopped in the middle of the road when the animals were off to the side, or doing U turns in the middle of the traffic so they could go back and get “another photo”.  The poor Rangers make it very clear that you should only stop in pull-overs (of which there are plenty), and keep away form the animals, but half of them really lose the plot.  Anyway…….

We passed one flat area where there were quite a lot of cameras set up on tripods, and then I saw that way down on the river bank were a herd of elk, having their morning swim !   Then it was past the Sulphur Caldron and Mud Volcano, and then the Yellowstone river flowed into Yellowstone Lake, which is enormous !  And flat calm.   It was now just after 8 am, so it had taken me 2 hours with virtually no traffic to get from the North entrance down to the Lake – Probably a quarter of the roads in the Park, so it gives you some idea of the size of this place. 

We drove right round the west coast of the lake, enjoying the beautiful views, and then as we turned away from the lake, I, and several other cars in front of me came over a blind brow and corner to find 3 or 4 idiots stopped in the middle of the road, taking photos of something.  How we didn’t all run up the back of them I don’t know – Unbelievable.  They were looking at an elk up on the bank which had a fairly big rack on – I managed to get a couple of pics without stopping because he was on the right, and so was I !

From there it was off to Old Faithful.  I was very interested to see this after the rather poor showing in Iceland, but unfortunately it was all rather disappointing.  I arrived there to see lots of steam, but as I got closer, everyone was leaving – It had just erupted !  Then I found out that it was about 90 minutes till the next eruption !  At least the Iceland one erupted every 8 minutes !  I guess Old Faithful is just get older and weaker, like the rest of us !  So I went and watched a movie about Yellowstone in the Information Centre, and wandered around looking at other things. And then made my way back to Old Faithful about 20 minutes early – I didn’t want to miss it !

Finally, it farted.  There really is no other word for it.  Nothing spectacular, nothing to go Oooh or Aah about.  It just farted, gave off a bit of steam, a couple of jets of water maybe 30 feet high, and that was it.  We all left !  Apparently it does sometimes do really spectacular eruptions, but they are becoming less and less frequent.   So with that rather dismal performance, I returned to the car, and after chatting to a couple from Brisbane who saw my number plates, I headed up towards the West Entrance of the Park, to get out.  I stopped beside a lovely river (the Madison River, of which more later) for a sandwich and a rest – I was quite pooped after my early start.

The it was on out of the park, and I started to head kind of northwesterly towards Butte Montana, with a view to going to Glacier National Park, which I have never visited before and is supposed to be really beautiful.  Maybe half an hour outside the park I came to a lake that was full of dead trees – Still vertical !!   It turns out that in August 1959 a massive 7.5 earthquake occurred here, and half the mountain slid down into the Madison Gorge and blocked the Madison River (beside which I had just had my lunch !), with catastrophic results.  Within 3 weeks the lake was 190 feet deep ! 

Y
ou can still clearly see where the mountain fell away, and then when you drive through Madison and then up the hills where you are overlooking the beautiful Madison Valley, you realize the massive impact that would have occurred if the water pressure had built up enough to break through the fallen rock.  This is a highly earthquake prone area anyway (you only have to see all the geothermal activity in Yellowstone to realize that !), and there are signs everywhere warning people about the possibilities.

Later I passed through Virginia City which is just like an old cowboy town, with wooden sidewalks and all the shops built in the style of the day – But all functioning as a village in the meantime !!  Lots of cars and motorhomes pulled up, and people wandering the streets.   Okayyyyyy.




By now I was even more pooped, so followed signs off the main road and up into the hills for about 10 kms, where I found a delightful, if rustic, campsite right beside a little river.  Hopefully no earthquake activity tonight, although as I write this and prepare for bed, there is lots of thunder and lightening and rain.  Hopefully the river won’t rise too far during the night !!

A good day in Yellowstone.  I really enjoyed the scenery, especially in the early morning
light when all the animals were on the move. There is a lot to see in Yellowstone, and I know I hardly scratched the surface.  If I was going to come back, I would probably come in late August when you can find accommodation in the park, and spend a week or two really exploring it properly.  It is certainly a gorgeous part of the world on which we live.  



No comments:

Post a Comment