Friday 17 June 2016

0541 A day at the USA Niagara Falls


17th June 2016
Lots of water !

I drove into the Gorge Discovery Centre and parked there since it was the closest free parking.  There is a shuttle bus tat runs all day around the whole complex, so I bought my $3 ticket for that, but then decided that it would be more interesting to kind of “creep up” on the Falls !  On the US side you can see nothing from a distance except a lot of spray in the air, so I thought I would just let the view “develop” as I walked along a cliff top path.

And “develop”, it does !  My first view was of the Rainbow Bridge which crosses over to Canada, and I walked under the edge of that, seeing the Canadian-side jetty for the boat tours up to the Falls (their passengers have red plastic ponchos !).  Then it was on to the Observation Tower that sticks out over the cliff, and you can see the US side boats – The Maid of the Mist – And their passengers wear blue ponchos !!  To get more of a feel for the Falls, I wander upstream from the Falls a little way, watching the water starts its inexorable rush to its drop over the edge.  I find the power of big waterfalls really enthralling – In the same way that I love the whoosh of big rockets on Guy Fawkes’ night, especially when I am lighting them !
I then came back to the Observation Tower and decided to go down and do the Maid of the Mist tour, so I bought my ticket and after viewing the Falls from the Observation Deck, I went down in the elevator.  One is issued with your blue poncho and then you make your way down to the boat – There are several all going in rotation, so no big delays, and within 5 minutes I was in my poncho and on the boat, and we were off.

You can only see the Falls from the side when on the US side and so the view from the boat was the first front on view I had seen – and it certainly is impressive.  There is lots of debris from rock-falls at the bottom of the Falls, which may lessen the height of the Falls, but certainly seems to increase the spray !  So much spray, in fact, that it is impossible to take any photos when you are close to the Falls because you would just get water all over your camera.  The ponchos work well though !  To the side of the main US Falls are the smaller Bridal Veil Falls, and then we were off towards the main Horseshoe Falls.

These really are something, and the noise is quite deafening.  I found myself just staring at the immensity and power of the water as it fells the 170 feet to the bottom – Although of course you can’t see the bottom because of the spray ! The boat hangs around in the spray for about 5 minutes, making sure everyone gets thoroughly soaked, before backing slowly away and making its way back down stream.  To the right, on the Canadian side, are the remains of the 1900 Schoellkopf power station that was partly destroyed in 1956. The destruction was blamed on earlier multiple sawmills and flour mills whose individual and unregulated water flows are thought to have undermined the rock face over time.

After the boat tour I walked further along the paths to the other side of the Falls where I went down to the Cave of the Winds complex. This requires another elevator ride down inside the cliff, and then a walk down a tunnel after which you come out on the shore above the river – Which is covered in hundreds of gulls which nest there – And the small of them all is, shall we say, VERY fishy !  At the moment they all have their fluffy chicks with them.  Walk down the wooden boardwalk (which has to be reconstructed every spring due to ice damage during the winter), getting closer and closer to the Bridal Falls, while the spray gets heavier.  In some places you are actually paddling through water which is flowing over the boardwalk, and the noise and the spray are unbelievable.

Finally you walk up some stairs to “The Hurricane”, and here the winds created by the Falls are amazing, whipping at your plastic poncho which, if you don’t hold onto it tight, will blow upwards, ensuring your get thoroughly soaked !  Quite a sensation to stand there almost under the Falls – There were a group of Amish people there, and the girls were standing right in the middle of it and absolutely shrieking with laughter, and having a wonderful time !  My day was made when an older Indian gentleman standing beside me was just shaking his head, awestruck, and when he saw me watching him, smiled and then laughed in sheer enjoyment of the experience.

Once back up on top of the cliffs. I walked across a bridge out to Luna Island where you can stand between the main American Falls and the Horseshoe Falls, and just enjoy the scene as the water disappears over the Falls, and watch the people down below, in the Cave of the Winds, getting soaked !  I was also stunned to see a Japanese lady there in all her finery, and wearing 5 inch high heels !   Unbelievable !

I then went through the information centres and learned about the power stations, and past rock falls, and times when they actually diverted all the water over the Horseshoe Falls so they could work on the American Falls to make them better / safer.  Some amazing engineering work, and some amazing facts :-
·      The US is 2nd only to Canada in production of hydro power
·      750,000 gals per second flow over the Falls, with only 10% of this over the American Falls, and the other 90% over the Horseshoe Falls
·      At night they divert more water to the hydro plant, so the Falls are less “scenic” !
·      Only a quarter of the water in the river goes over the Falls – The rest is diverted to the hydro plant  - Imagine the Falls if ALL the water went over it !
·      The Falls were originally some 7 miles further downstream, but have gradually been eroded to their current location.
·      The Niagara River drains 4 of the 5 Great Lakes (Superior, Michigan, Huron, and Erie), into Lake Ontario, and together these Lakes contain 20% of the world’s fresh water supply.

I then treated myself to lunch at the Top of the Falls restaurant where, unfortunately the view is hindered by some big reconstruction work going on which has totally closed Terrapin Point, although it will re-open shortly.

I then caught the shuttle bus back to the car park, and after chatting to a couple from Florida who were keen to do a trip like mine, I headed down river to the Whirlpool, a section of the Niagara river where massive eddies and whirlpools form. It seems that Capt Webb, the first man to swim the English Channel, drowned here in 1883 when he attempted to swim through the Whirlpool. 

From the Whirlpool I drove past my campsite to Fort Niagara, on the edge of Lake Ontario, which was unfortunately closed by the time I got there.  But this was an important part of the battle for local supremacy in the 1700’s between the French and the British, changing hands on more than one occasion.  Once again it was fascinating for me to read how they had fought and defended, using all the terms and details identical to the Sharpe series of books that I am currently reading by Bernard Cornwell.

From there is was back to my KOA campground, with an early start tomorrow to drive up to near Toronto to meet up with a Canadian Lotus owner who I have met through the US Lotus website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment