Thursday 16 June 2016

0540 Cranberry Lake SP to Niagara Falls


16th June 2016
Driving round the shore of Lake Ontario


Today was not one of the most exciting drives of the trip !  Cranberry Lakes up in the Adirondacks is beautiful, but from there down to Niagara was basically a day spent driving through suburbia and small towns along the southern coast of Lake Ontario. 

I saw an AT&T shop beside the highway in Oswego and stopped to see if they could set me up with a payg US SIM card for my phone (my Canadian one won’t work in the US). Their plan is way better than the Canadian one, and for a flat rate I have talk and text in the USA for 30 days. 

With that sorted, it was on down round the shores of Lake Ontario.  I found it interesting to see a sign in a layby where I stopped for lunch that Joseph Bonaparte, Napoleon’s brother, came to NY State in 1815 after the downfall of his brother.  All fitting in with the Bernard Cornwall books I am reading at the moment about the Napoleonic war in Spain in 1812, in which Joseph is mentioned.

There was really nothing to take photos of, nor much to comment on during the day, so, perhaps surprisingly, I won’t !   I found several State Parks near Niagara but they were all “day use only”, so I ended up in a KOA campground as I wanted to be reasonably close to Niagara for the morning.   

No comments:

Post a Comment