Monday 13 June 2016

0537 Les Escoumins Canada to Moose River Maine USA


13th June 2016
Rain, ferries, and border crossings.

It did not stop raining for a second all day yesterday, ad when I woke up this morning, it was still raining !  Troopie is so much easier than it was when it rained when I was in Alaska in the Elise, but even so, it is still a small vehicle to sit inside all day !  Anyway, got everything done, and this morning managed to get everything packed up even though it was all wet, and by 9.30 I was headed out.  Or was it 8.30 ?  I think the clocks went back an hour yesterday !  Stopped in at the shop which luckily sold top ups for my pay as you go phone on which I had used up all the credit yesterday, and headed off down the road to Quebec city.


This part of Canada / USA is really small scale on my map book that covers both countries, so it is hard to see quite which is the best way to go – Especially when you are on a gap between two pages !  I had been asked a couple of times by my Tom Tom about “Do you want to include Ferry Crossings on your route ?”, and I had thought it meant crossing the St Lawrence, so I was kind of surprised when at about 10 am I come down a hill and find the great big Riviere Saguenay in front of me – And no bridge !  Just ferries !  Oh well, at least there
was no queue, and in 5 minutes we were on the ferry and headed across the river. Very efficient loading and unloading, using two separate lanes onto the ferry, and with one ferry going and another coming back, it all seems to work quite slickly.  Might be a different story in the height of summer ?  I waited for someone to ask for some money, but it seems to be a free service, so that was OK !


Off the other side and then the road went all the way to Quebec alongside the ST Lawrence, although you don’t see much because of all the trees beside the road.  After stopping for a bite to eat in the drizzle, I finally came over a hill at about 1 pm and could see the tall buildings of Ottawa city ahead, and over the next hour the traffic got busier and busier, and, surprise, it stopped raining and looked as though it might even fine up a little !

We came to the bridge over the St Lawrence  - One newer bridge called the Pierre Laporte bridge that was apparently finished in 1970, and beside it is a very Isambard Kingdom Brunel type bridge, but it was hard to see much of it or whether it is still in use as I drove across the other bridge.  I found out later that this steel bridge is called the Quebec Bridge, and was first started in 1903, but in 1907, nearing completion, it collapsed into the river, killing 75 workers.  A second design was then started, but in 1916
a section of this also crashed into the river, killing another 13 !  It was finally completed in 1917, and is in fact still the longest cantilever bridge span in the world.  Currently there is a bit of a political wrangle over maintenance of the bridge, which is apparently suffering from severe corrosion.  I am kind of glad I crossed on the Pierre Laporte bridge !


Once across the river I just head straight down the road towards the US border into Maine, and some of the scenery was quite European (after all the spruce trees of the past few thousand kms !), with fields and hedges – And even a bit of blue sky and sunshine !  I came to the border and as I had thought from the map, I had picked a nice small one where there was no queue at all, and the guys were more interested in my trip than looking at any of the contents.  Once they new I had no oranges or citrus fruit, and no firearms, they didn’t even bother to look inside, but just wanted to buy my car off me !  Pick your border crossings carefully and it is much easier !

Just a few miles into Maine I had found a Moose River campsite on my maps.me, so I headed for it.  Absolutely NO signs anywhere, so I just followed the small roads indicated on my map, and hey presto – There was this delightful little camp site around a river, mostly used at weekends by fishermen and people riding quad bikes, so mostly empty tonight !   Still a bit of rain, but the forecast infers that it will be getting better tomorrow, and then 4 or 5 days of sunshine.  Could be just right for a visit to Niagara !


No comments:

Post a Comment