Monday 6 June 2016

0531 Port au Choix to Quirpon


6th June 2016
Whales, icebergs, Vikings, Icebergs, and Moose !

What a day !  While I was packing up, one of the campsite guys came over and said they had been some whales feeding out at the lighthouse on the point that may be worth a look, and he told me how to get there.  How nice is that ?  So once I was all done, I set off, but since it was more than half an hour since the guy had told me, I didn’t get too excited.

But I should have – When I got to Point Riche (as it is called), I could not only see a couple of whales but also hear more as they blew on surfacing – They were just off the rocky shore !  And I was the only one there to enjoy it !  What a way to start the day !

I spent about 30 minutes watching them and trying to get a photo – If you have ever tried to photograph whales you will understand how difficult it is to get a good one.  You never know where they are going to surface next, or whether they will leap right out of the water or just kind of porpoise, so you just kind of point and hope you get a good one !  After a while I ended up just watching them because there were probably 15 or more humpbacks out there, and I think a couple of
minkies too, and they were just lazily feeding right in front of me, and it was just an amazing sight to have so many of them there for so long.  There were a couple of major leaps, but I missed them, so I made a cup of tea, and a vegemite sandwich, and just enjoyed the show !  







After an hour or more I realized I could just sit there all day watching them, so decided to start heading north.  Just off the point there was a display so I went over to look and found that Point Riche is where the Dorset Palaeoeskimos lived here from 2100 to 1200 years ago, and used to hunt the harp seals in the area, and probably watch the whales as well !  It was an interesting and informative display – Everywhere I go there is just so much history around here, and I am learning so much about an area about which I really knew nothing.

Once back on the main road I headed north with the Gulf of St Lawrence beside me, and Quebec / Labrador visible in the distance on the other side of the Gulf, but shrouded in fog.  I continue to find it odd to be in these places that I only ever heard about at school, and marked on an atlas.  I find it really weird now to be actually driving up beside the Gulf of St Lawrence – And many other similar well known places along the way !  It gives me an odd feeling.



Forest and Lakes again to my right – On one scenic lake there was not only an idyllic looking house, but I suddenly noticed a couple of float planes sitting on the bank – They would be the perfect way to get around up here due to all the lakes to land on !  I always had a soft spot for float planes – In my next lifetime, maybe !






Wood is a big thing in Newfoundland – A lot of people have wood stoves so they all have to have a good stock of wood before winter comes – Like good little squirrels gathering their acorns !  As I move north I am seeing more and more of the wood gathering processes in the forest, whereas further south I just saw all the piles of wood outside people’s houses.  And how to transport the wood in winter ?  On a sled, towed by a skidoo, of course !  I passed a number of these rough looking sleds waiting by the woodpiles for some snow so they can be used !

Quite high hills to my right – The Long Range Mountains I believe they are called, with peaks mostly between 600 and 700 metres.  There was still snow visible up in some of the more sheltered areas. I then drove past St Barbe from where the ferry to Labrador departs, so I dropped in to get the sailing time details for the next stage of my journey in a day or so, and then carried on up the road to Anchor Point.  Coming in to Anchor Point there were a LOT of woodpiles beside the road – Busy little squirrels up here ! 

After the brightly painted little town of Anchor Point, I stopped in Flower’s Cove to have a look at some Thrombolites.  We have these in Aus (called stromatolites – Not sure what the difference is, although I think these ones are officially dead, where as the Aussie ones are still living.)  Having parked, it was a 600 metre walk in the cold wind out to the Thrombolites, passing over a little bridge that was once the only way for locals to get across the creek !  Saw lots of scallop shells on the beach – Unfortunately all empty !  As for thrombolites, they are rather special being so old and so rare, but they are basically just rocks now, so they aren’t too exciting, and within a few minutes in the cold wind it was time to head back to the car !  There were some good sized icebergs out to sea past the thrombolites…..

There was a definite line of blue sky ahead, but it seemed to keep moving away from me !  I stopped for a sandwich somewhere up near Sandy Cove, and by the time I got to Eddies Cove, where the road turns inland, I had almost got into the blue sky, although it still wasn’t much over 8 deg C ! Where the road crosses from W to E across the top of this Northern Peninsula, the landscape varied very quickly – One minute it was bog with lots of small ponds, the next it was broken rock everywhere, almost like crossing a lava field, with hardly any vegetation at all.  And then as we dropped in toward St Anthony it was back into the forest again – Although at least by now I had caught up with the blue sky !

Another local habit here is creating little vegetable allotments alongside the road where the soil is suitable. They just put a bit of fencing up, and dig over the land, and plant whatever.  I kept passing cars that had just pulled over on the side of the road while the owner worked in his “allotment” !   At the turn off to L’Anse aux Meadows there was a massive pile of grit for the roads, and under a covered area piles of, I presume, salt.  More squirrel activity – I guess they really have to have everything ready for winter because they never know when the first snows are going to arrive.

I crossed a river where a fly fisherman was trying his hand, and past some other lakes of deep blue reflecting the sky above, and then I arrived in the little township of St Lunaire, and all sorts of things started happening very quickly – This next sequence of events all happened in the space of 10 minutes, and remember that I stopped several times in that 10 minutes to take in the view or take photos !
First were some delightful little bays basking
in the sunshine beside the road – But with an eerie sea mist rolling in from the ocean.  While I was enjoying that, I passed a very big iceberg in another little bay, and then came round the next corner to find a big old moose munching away at the grass on the lawn of the house on the bend ! I swerved off onto the side road and went up and did a U turn so I could get some pics of the moose – The first I have really seen in a “town” environment, although I have heard of it
often.  As I pulled up, the owners of the house arrived in their car and were watching Mr Moose from their front porch – I asked them if he was their pet !!  After a couple of minutes something spooked the moose and he trotted off down the road towards some trees, so I head on through this amazing, happening little town !





Driving up the hill from the moose house, the sea fog suddenly appeared, and within 100 yards I had very restricted views, and could hardly see a group of several smaller icebergs (growlers ?) in the next bay.  Then over another hill, and the sun came out again, and there was another moose running down the road in front of me ! He had obviously spied some good grass on the other side of the road, but he had to run past a length of Armco barrier before he could get off the road and into (yet another) timber
stacking area where he quickly started munching on the grass there.   What an amazing 10 minutes !!


It was then on through some more misty patches until I got just a short distance up the road to Noddy Cove which had the most scenic little cove, with a big iceberg crossing the entrance (and more further out to sea), and then just 2 minutes further the next cove, Spillars Cove, had a bigger iceberg in the bay, with the island hill behind shrouded in sea mist.  All quite spectacular. 

Finally I reached L’Anse aux Meadows at the very top of the Northern Peninsula of Newfoundland, and there I found the Historic Site of the first Viking settlement in North America, in 1000 AD.  There is a large Information centre which has an excellent display of everything, and then one goes out the back of the centre and down a walkway that leads over the bog and out to some recreated sod buildings as well as well marked depressions where the original buildings used to be, and where they have excavated and found lots of artifacts and tools which have enabled them to accurately date the settlement.

These 60 – 90 Vikings had come from Greenland (with the help of the currents, like the icebergs) under the leadership of one Leif Eiriksson, to over-winter here and explore the south via the Gulf of St Lawrence.  However, once they started exploring they came into contact with the local Innu, Beothuk, and Mi’kmaq peoples who were far more numerous, so after a decade or so the Vikings burnt their settlement and headed back to Greenland. What was particularly interesting was that they managed to extract and smelt iron from
the peat bog, and actually made nails which they used in their buildings, and they particularly prized wood from the local forests as they had little or no wood in Greenland.

Once again, fascinating for me as it tied in with the museums we had visited when Janet and I were in Oslo.  I was very impressed with the sod huts – They would have been quite warm and cosy in this bleak climate up here.

By now the afternoon was wearing on, so I started to think of stopping in a camp site just down the road in a little village called Quirpon.  On the way there I passed more blue bays with misty hills and big icebergs – It is really totally unnecessary to go out in a boat to see icebergs and whales round here !!  I passed a big bronze statue of Leif Eiriksson down by the water’s edge, and then headed into Quirpon where the sea mist had really come in strongly, and the temps dropped to about 3 deg as I drove around the little fishing village before heading back to the camp site for the night.   






It was quite chilly sitting around, and a couple of the camp sites were still inaccessible due to big piles of snow, so once again I was very happy to plug into the mains and use my little electric heater to keep me warm inside while I ate my supper.  Rain is supposed to be around in the next day or so, so I set up camp prepared for some during the night – and was glad later that I did so.

What an amazing day, with so many expected sights and things happening.  Newfoundland continues to delight me.


No comments:

Post a Comment