Thursday 2 June 2016

0527 Emerald Vale to St John's


1st June 2016
Dildo, Icebergs, and a Loonie

Still not a soul in my campsite when I got up and left, so I said my grateful thanks to the trees and headed out.  It had been a very peaceful site !

Down the road I soon came upon my first surprise of the day – A sign pointing to a town called Dildo !  Just off the main road, it is a normal (for round here) sleepy little fishing town that is similar to places like Chicken Alaska in so fr as they make a business out of their unusual names.  So there is Dildo Store, Dildo Post Office, and lots of other Dildos in town – Including a statue of a certain Captain Dildo, of which the less said the better.   And no, I do not have a photo !

Moving on from Dildo I passed a spectacular Shag Rock, and after driving through Heart’s Delight, I came to Heart’s Desire, and shortly after that, Heart’s Content.   Oh dear oh dear !!  Actually Heart’s Content was quite fun.  I noticed a sign to the “House of Commons” so set off to find out what that could be – But before I got there I had to stop on the narrow lane to let an oncoming car past.  But he didn’t pass – He pulled up, wound down his window, and waited for me to roll mine down (easier said than done on a RHD car !). I wondered what he wanted,
especially since there were a couple of other vehicles behind him who couldn’t get through. Was I going the wrong way up a one way street ?  Had I infringed some local law ?   No, nothing like that – He just wanted to know where I was from, where I was going, and was I enjoying Newfoundland !  We chatted for about 5 minutes – Lovely old guy.  The people stuck behind him didn’t seem to care about the delay, and when we eventually finished talking and he drove off, they just gave me a cheery wave as they went past.  Relaxed types, these people from Heart’s Content !

Carrying on to the end of the lane, I passed the “House of Commons” (actually a certain Bill Piercey’s shed !) before I came to a little lighthouse out on the point, and went for a wander – Very bleak, windy and cold ! Then it was back through the little town, passing some very brightly painted buildings, and continuing on up the west coast of this northwesterly peninsula of the larger Avalon Peninsula, with the Trinity Bay inlet on my left.



I came into a little town called Turk’s Cove and found even more brightly painted building and sheds – They really brighten things up round here, and it is a very common (and fun) aspect of Newfoundland.  Newfoundland’s nickname is “The Rock”, and you can see why – it really is one big rock, so all these bright buildings really bring it alive.  Up the road a little further, New Melbourne (?) deserved a quick visit, and I found a big fish plant there whose effluent was obviously keeping the local seagull population happy and well fed !

From there it was up to the very tip of the peninsula, at Grates Cove.  As I came down the hill into town I could see the top of a big iceberg that was obviously very close to the beach, so in order to see it better I followed a little dirt trail down the side of the hill – I think it was actually the driveway to a house, but round here no one seems to mind too much ! When I got down to the bottom sure enough there was a sizeable iceberg hung up on a rock, and lots of small bits of ice floating around the rocks and washing up on the beach.

As I stood there in the freezing wind and watched the death of an iceberg, a little 4WD quad bike came down the hill, with a guy in a T shirt and no hat riding it.  I watced as he carefully drove right down the rocks onto the beach, and then started filling up a couple of buckets with bits of ice off the beach.  When he came back up the hill 5 minutes later, I had to stop him and find out more, didn’t I ?  First of all he did admit it was a cold day, but obviously he hadn’t felt it was cold enough to require him to wear a jacket !  As far as the ice was concerned, he said “I have been waiting for our first iceberg to come in to shore so I could get some ice for my rum” !!  Apparently iceberg ice is so dense that if you put a lump in a G & T (or rum !) at the beginning of the night, and had 2 or 3 refills, you would still be using the same lump of ice 3 hours later !   So it is valued for use in drinks !  And he was really happy to have some for his drinks tonight, and took off up the hill to his house.

Before taking me off, he told me that only about an hour ago the iceberg had rolled, with accompanying crashes and bangs etc (icebergs do not roll over quietly !) – He said it was very spectacular – Missed it, bugger !!  Spent too long looking around Dildo !!  I then drove around the little town up onto the cliff on the other side, where there are several houses that I am told are becoming increasingly popular with “mainlanders” as holiday houses.  Bit chilly I would have thought, but probably very dramatic, especially in winter storm !

It turns out that a family of Coopers were one of the first settlers in Grates Cove in 1790, and the Cooper’s daughter Margaret was probably the first person ever to be born in Grates Cove.  (For those who are unaware, my sister in England is called Margaret !).  Once again, cod fishing has always been the main stay of Grates Cove (like everywhere else in Newfoundland), and Grates Cove regular produced the highest per capita landing of cod of any community in Newfoundland.  John Cabot is also reported to have landed here a couple of times, once being shipwrecked here !

I then drove not far round the coast to Bay of Verde, yet another picturesque little fishing village in a sheltered bay - With a church with a very green and new looking roof, as well as the usual colourful houses, end even colourful fishing boats in the harbour.  And over on the other side of the bay were the now common big icebergs, washed into the bay.




From Bay de Verde I then came down the eastern shore of Conception Bay, making my way towards St John’s, and I had done most of this road a couple of days earlier, so the only new thing to remark on was that I finally saw some Loon’s in a lake beside the road.  I don’t think the Loon is Canada’s national bird, but the one dollar coin in nicknamed a Loon, or the Loonie, after the bird (while the 2 $ coin is named the Toonie.  It gets interesting in the shop – “That’ll be $5 please”.  “OK” I say, studying my handful of strange coins.  “Just give me a toonie and 3 of those loonie’s, and we’ll be right” says the salesman.  Yeah right !!

From there on down the coast, it was as usual lake after lake after lake – If you are getting the impression that there is a lot of water round here, you would be very correct.  I stopped in at Tim Horton’s to do some email, and shortly after that Marie said she was home from work, so I went round to their house which was just around the corner.  


Marie had arranged to take tomorrow off work to show me around St John’s, so while we were chatting about what we would do, I mentioned that I would need to get some fuel for the car before I left, and where was the cheapest place ?  Suddenly Marie leapt up and said “I forgot – We need to get fuel tonight – The price of fuel is going up some 25 cents a litre at midnight !”.  She had forgotten that the new Provincial Government is blaming the previous government for lying about the state of the Provinces finances, and in order to raise some money to cover the debts is putting the price of fuel up this week, and putting sales tax on everything else up at the end of June !  Hmmm – Time to get out of Newfoundland !!?

After fueling up, and being given some delicious Moose stew for supper, I settled into the nice soft bed provided by Ben and Marie, and slept like a log, looking forward to seeing the sight’s of St John’s tomorrow.  Hopefully the weather would be kind.




No comments:

Post a Comment