Wednesday 29 June 2016

0550 Driving the Bear Tooth Pass - Twice !


28th June 2016
How much fun can a man have by 10 am ?

I woke up at about 6 am having slept like a log out here in the wilds of the Bear Tooth Pass.  We were actually just back from the summit, at Little Bear Lake, but we were close to 10,000 ft asl, so it had been quite chilly last night – and still was as I got up to make tea this morning.  Before 8 am, Steve was up and ready, his dog Zoe was obviously ready to go, and we headed out of the camping area between the trees and down to the “main” road.  As soon as we hit the road, the WOW’s started ! 

We passed a snow plough beside the road – Not the first we had seen.  A reminder that they expect snow at any time on this pass, and I now realize why the road was closed when I tried to get here from Yellowstone in April 2012 in the Lotus !  In fact, several of the “official” campsites we had passed last night were still closed now at the end of June, because they normally have snow until mid – July ! 



As we climbed up the hill to the summit at 10,947 ft, the views looking back over the valley and the lakes, with the sunshine lighting everything up in the morning, were just indescribable.  And the pics don’t even do them justice, as usual.  Several times I just stopped, and had tears in my eyes, because it was just STUNNING.  There is a LOT of snow still lying around up here, and remember that this winter past was a very mild one compared to usual.  At the top of the pass we took a few pics, then Steve and Zoe turned around and headed back down the hill on their way to their destination – Steve had only come this far up the pass because I persuaded him to ! 

And that was Steve’s big mistake, because IT GOT BETTER  as I set off down the other side ! I won’t try to tell you more than the photos can, but suffice it to say that I did find the actual Bear’s Tooth after which the pass is named !  There are several other one’s that could be the one, but this one is actually signed ! 




Only half an hour after leaving the camp site, I was finding “summer ski areas”, countless wild flowers beside the road, as well as a bunch of Marmots – Kind of like Prairie Dogs, but slightly bigger and furrier !   They were also a bit more timid, running away at the slightest provocation.  At the summer ski area not only was there a slope grooming machine, but also a ski tow – With 3 white mountain goats finding food to eat among the rocks.  The view from there down to the lake in the valley floor was – yes – amazing !!








Shortly afterwards I crossed back into Montana – This whole corner is a mess of state lines between Wyoming and Montana – as is Yellowstone Park itself.  I found it kind of funny that on the “Welcome to Montana” side of the sign it says we are entering Custer National Forest, and on the “Welcome to Wyoming” side of the sign (on the reverse of the same sign !)  it says “Entering Shoshone National Forest”.  You would have thought that Custer and the Shoshone were kind of on opposing sides ? !!

Dropping down towards Red Lodge, I passed a couple stopped beside their motorcycle, taking photos as they head up the hill (ie the other direction from me).  I stopped and told them not to waste time – It was going to get better, and they smiled and just said they couldn’t believe it could get even better !   Then I pulled into a lay by to take some photos and there was a Wicked Camper with all the usual “graffiti” all over it.  I parked right in front of it and the guy came over and said “Gday, What are you doing here ?”.  Turns out Chris Hill was from Frankston, Victoria, and couldn’t believe seeing a Queensland number plate pull up in front of him !  We chatted for quite a long time about this and that, and in the end agreed to try and meet that night in a campsite near Yellowstone – Nothing firm if something else came up, but we hit it off really well and would like to continue the chat over a beer.  Then we headed off, Chris uphill, and me downhill.  I did find the graffiti on the back of his van quite humerous though !!

I passed the dramatic scenic lookout leaning out over the valley below, and after a quick stop, kept on going down the switchback road carved out of the mountainside.  There are more switchbacks on other roads, there might even be better scenery on some other roads, but I don’t think many roads combine the two as well as the Bear Tooth Pass does.  Eventually the roads levels out a bit and you start to just descend through this very pleasant valley, with abandoned mines on one side of the road, and splashing rivers and rolling hills on the other side.  Gorgeous.

It was then about 40 miles back to Cody across wide open Wyoming grasslands, to Bear Co Tire Company, who had told me that they would have my two replacement tyres at about noon.  I had time for a wander around town, seeing the Buffalo Bill statue (he was from Cody), and a bit of a shop, befoe getting my tyres replaced.  You can see from the pics of the old tyres, one of them was really worn badly on the inside, so although buying the tyres here instead of in a bigger city like Seattle that I had originally planned, I had no choice.  And now they are fitted, the ride is so much smoother, with the vibration from the uneven tyre wear completely gone, 

And as soon as my tyres were fitted, I was off again – Back over the Bear Tooth Pass in the opposite direction !  I had enjoyed the morning so much, and I only had to get to the entrance of Yellowstone tonight, that I decided to see what the Pass was like the other way.  I won’t repeat the journey verbally, but while it was different, the weather had closed in a little so much of the run was made in cloudy conditions, which meant that the views, while still great,  were not as spectacular as they had been this morning.  Additionally it did rain for a while too, but that was OK – It just showed the pass in a different light. 

I might add that while Cody was about 30 deg C, going up into the Pass, even in the afternoon, the temps still dropped to about 12 deg C at the top.  Eventually I came down past Little Bear Lake and our campsite from last night – And in the distance could see a big plume of smoke rising into the air, from a forest fire.  I hope it was not on the road between me and Yellowstone !  And as I slowly got closer, it seemed to be getting bigger all the time.  But eventually my fears proved groundless and I reached Cooke City on the edge of Yellowstone’s northern gate.

Cooke City was as far as I had got in Elsie in 2012, and where I took a photo of Troopie was where I had a phot of Elsie with a big snowbank behind her which closed the road to the Bear Tooth.  I found the pic of Elsie at the same point, and have inserted it into the pics out of interest !

I then turned back out of the park as I had agreed to meet Chris at the nearest open camp site to the park entrance.  Found a lovely campsite in the forest just 5 miles or so up the road, and set up.  I had bought a couple of nice steaks and even some Tim Tams in case Chris made it back !

Well, he didn’t – He must have found a better offer elsewhere.  But I had one of the steaks and it was EXCELLENT, although I saved the Tim Tams for later !  During the evening, my next door neighbours in the campsite came over, and they are in the middle of preparing their van to hopefully do the trip down through S America, so we had LOTS to talk about.  Hopefully they will digest at least half of the many things I told them !   Then it was to bed – I plan on getting up at 5 am, and on the road by 6, in order to beat the bad traffic I have been told currently exists in the park.

What a day.  I thank my friend Phill from Aussie Elises who had told me 4 years ago to drive the Bear Tooth Pass – Well, today I finally did it, and it was great !  Tomorrow Yellowstone.    

Pics are here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/6302104332477240081?authkey=Gv1sRgCNurh5rg9f3dkAE

No comments:

Post a Comment