Wednesday 8 June 2016

0532 Quirpon Newfoundland to Pinware Labrador


7th June 2016
Mist, icebergs, and a ferry to Labrador

Woke up this morning and it was damp, mosty from the thick mist, or perhaps I should call it fog.  Could hardly see my hand in front of my face.  Bit of a shame as for my last planned day in Newfoundland I thought I would explore the coast at the top end of the Northern Peninsula, and then spend one more night here before catching the ferry to Labrador the next morning.  After a great hot shower in brand new facilities, I headed down the road – And found that the fog was everywhere – Couldn’t see much of the coast at all.


So I cut the plan to go up a couple of roads to explore, and headed in towards St Anthony to see if it was any better there, and also to top up with fuel using my last fuel card from Toyota Plaza, and get a few groceries.  On the way I stopped at a little artisanal store (Dark Tickle) in St Lunaire that I had noticed before, and looked around their exhibit – Lots of information about a Frenchman who had done a lot in this area in the 1700’s.  I also bought a couple of small jams of their local berries – Wild Blueberry and Partridgeberry – I will let you
know what they are like !   There were so many icebergs in the bay at St Lunaire, including one enormous one, but I could hardly see them due to the fog.  The lady in the shop told me about a cliff top road, but it was no better.   I then went right up to the end of the road in St Anthony, to the lighthouse, and although I knew there were some big icebergs out there because I occasionally glimpsed them, one could see absolutely nothing from the headland. Bit if a fizzer really. I just needed one more clear day…..!!

After getting my fuel and groceries, I went in to Tim Horton’s for some wifi, and the weather forecast said that it wasn’t going to get any better  - In fact it was going to get worse for a couple of days.  So I decided that I would go straight back to the ferry at St Barbe and try to catch the 5 pm one tonight to Labrador – Unfortunate, but there was no point in just sitting around here in the fog. 


By about 3 pm I was in St Barbe, and was able to get on the ferry OK, so, having bought my ticket at the hotel (what you do !), I went down and was second in line and had a bit and did a few bits and pieces inside the car – It was far too cold to get out and there was a bitter wind blowing.  Ironically, the wind over on this side had blown the fog away !!  Tempting to rush back…….

Once the ferry Apollo arrived, we were all on board by 4.30 and left on time at 5 pm.  Bit sad  leaving Newfoundland – I have had such a great time here, made lots of new
friends, and done and seen more than I ever expected to.  I can strongly recommend people visiting this place – You are at the mercy of the weather as you would be in any northern location, but if you get it even partially right, you will have a fantastic time here.  Buy Newfoundland – Roll on Labrador…….






90 minutes across the Gulf of St Lawrence, dodging a few icebergs, mostly near the Labrador side, and then we unloaded – Into Quebec ????  Have we gone to the wrong port ?  All the clocks are 30 minutes different !   What’s going on ?  A quick question and I am told ignore it – Labrador starts 2 kms down the road, so just ignore the Quebec signs (all in fFrench !!) for 10 minutes and you will be OK !!

Sure enough, 7 minutes later I am in Labrador, and off down the road – No fog here and I can see a number of icebergs below me.  By now it was nearly 7 pm (Labrador time !) and I was popped, so I started looking for a camp site straight away.  There was supposedly one in L’Anse au Clair, but it was a horrible RV Park hidden behind a not very nice hotel, so after driving round it, I drove out – I wasn’t THAT tired !!  There was a Provincial Park just 35 kms up the road, so I decided to head for that one – And was glad I did.  Lovely camp site right beside the sea, with great showers
etc.  No power or water on the sites, but that’s a minor point.  I was tired, cooked a quick supper of sausages and veggies, and jumped into bed.  In Labrador at last !!  Exciting to be in a new place again, with more unexpected adventures to come tomorrow.  






Pics are here :- https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/6293947175342366129?authkey=Gv1sRgCJHCzuiZrfOK7gE

No comments:

Post a Comment