Saturday 25 June 2016

0547 Badlands NP to Custer SP


25th June 2016
The amazing Badlands, prairie dogs and buffalo

I had gone for a walk just before sunset last night and saw some amazing colours on the cliffs around the camp site that in the day time are kind of bleached out.  Some wonderful colours out here if you can catch them just right.  The next morning I backtracked the 5 or 6 miles to the beginning of the Park because last night I had been keen to find a camp site, especially in the heat, and had not stopped.  I find that now it is almost summer time here, and almost all America is on vacation, if you can stop by 3 pm or so you can often get a campsite – The hoards all seem to pull in at about 5-6 pm and if you can beat them, you are usually ok.


It was supposed to be much cooler today, and this morning it was delightful, wandering around some of the trails around specific areas in the park.  The shapes and colours of the outcrops in the Badlands are just stunning, and around every corner you find yourself mesmerized.  Wandering through the park, from lookout to lookout, and stopping in Information centres, I kept on meeting the most delightful people who came over for a chat.  The most usual question was “Have you been to all those places ?  In that car ? !!”  There was a lovely family I met – Dad Titus and his son Noah, and I didn’t get his wife’s name – but they had a US SUV double cab with a pop top camper on the back – One of the options I like compared to Troopie if one didn’t have to take shipping costs into consideration ! 

Basically I just wandered through the park, stopping whenever I felt like it, and wandering along some of the trails, and just enjoying the perfect temperatures and the scenery. Then at about 1 pm I had the opportunity to carry on through the park, off the beaten track a little, on some dirt roads that would eventually take me out of the park, but would also allow me to get away from just some of the crowds, although I have to say, it wasn’t too bad. 

As soon as I turned up Sage Road, there were long horn sheep on the road.  One was just standing on the road looking over its shoulder, and nothing would make it move – Then I realized why when suddenly about 20 more came dashing across the road – He was holding up the traffic to let all his mates cross safely !! 




The wild flowers along the side of the road were a riot of colours – yellows, purples, and whites.  Then I came to “Prairie Dog City” – Which I didn’t understand until I saw it !  There is a veritable city of prairie dogs, stretching for several miles !  And they are the cutest animals, standing on their back legs watching you go past, or in the family clusters, playing or grooming each other.  A couple of times I just switched off the engine and sat by the road with the binoculars, watching their antics ! 








Then there were some buffalo lying in the grass – and it seemed as though the prairie dogs were keeping guard for the buffalo while they rolled in the dust bowls they seem to enjoy !  And as I drove on through the rolling hills of the park, over bridges spanning small rivers (one of which was the Cheyenne River) that were clouded with swallows that were collecting water to mold the mud so they could build their nests – Just thousands of them. 










We then came to this funny little town called Scenic which was really weird – All deserted Wild West kind of buildings – It looked like they were supposed to be a tourist attraction, but they all seemed deserted.  Most odd !  From there it was on along the dirt roads, out of the Badlands Park and across to Buffalo Gap, which was an equally odd place, with run down “Last Chance Saloons”, and an 1800 looking City Hall – Again, all deserted. 



I was aiming for the Custer State Park, but when I got there, they had no camping spaces available in the Park (Saturday night) so I had to go back just 7 or 8 miles to the Wind Cave National Park, where I found a camping spot – But unfortunately like many of these State Parks they only have toilets, not showers.  But it was a pleasant enough spot, and thankfully a lot cooler than yesterday, so after supper it was off to bed for me.  A great day with amazing sights in the Badlands NP, and plenty of wildlife along the road to make it all interesting.  I am very close to Mount Rushmore where I came
through 2 years ago on my way from north to south, but I saw none of this.  Now I am going from east to west, I am seeing all sorts of things I missed last time – So very pleased about that.  Tomorrow on west towards Yellowstone, but I am going to stay on the back roads……





No comments:

Post a Comment