Sunday 1 May 2016

0502 Skogafoss to near Höfn

27th April 2016
Glaciers, basalt columns, and icebergs !

I woke up to a lovely sunny day at the foot of the Skogafoss, and enjoyed my breakfast while packing up the car – Not much to pack up on this one !  A few other people had parked up after I had gone to bed, and there were even a few tents pitched, so I wasn’t alone.  I had only gone about 30 minutes along the road when I saw signs to Myrdalsjokull and Solheimajokull glaciers, and went to investigate.  (And yes the language IS a problem – Well, most people speak English so that isn’t the issue – It is remembering place names of where you want to go that is hear – Try remembering these two glacier names !  So one drives with the guidebook beside you, and if you see a sign, you stop to make sure it is the one you want !)
 
The M glacier is the 4th biggest in Iceland, 600 sq kms, and needs some serious climbing to get there. But the S glacier, as well as several others, form tongues and are the outlet glaciers that one can so often see from the road, and are more easily reached by less hardy souls like myself !  Interestingly, hidden under the M glacier is the famous Katla volcano, which has erupted many times, and causes chaos because of the ice melt water that subsequently causes flooding in the valleys below.  The last eruption was in 1918, and historically has erupted twice each century – So it should be ready for a blow before long !

9.30 am and it was quite cool, but there wasn’t anyone else there, so I put on my fur hat and headed up the path across the moraine to see what I could see.  The answer was “not a lot” – You cannot reach the glacier face due to melt water forming a lake, in which a few small bergs float, and everything is pretty black and dirty, including the glacier.  As I was to learn, all Iceland is black volcanic rock or sand, so naturally this is what the glaciers pick up.  So after a quick look at the glacier, I headed back to the car – Not overly impressed after some of the glaciers I have seen elsewhere. However the true story here is the M glacier up on top, which of course one cannot easily see or access. 

I drove on along the coast, past a sign pointing about 1 km down across soft sand to the beach where there is a wrecked US Navy DC3 plane on the beach, that crashed in 1978, but I decided not to go and see an old crashed plane. 30 minutes further down the road I turned off down towards the coast and Reynisfjara – At this rate I am never going to get all the way round Iceland in 6 days !  There is just too much to see in a short time !  But Reynisfjara sounded interesting – Black sand and basalt columns, with caves and “crashing puffins” !!   Once again, only about 3 or 4 cars there, so, after a warning about “sneaker waves” (??), off I set along the beach, and the first thing you see is the natural archway to the north at Dyrholaey. There are supposedly puffins there, but only from May onwards – So not many around at present !

Then to your left you immediately find the basalt columns – And they are STUNNING.  How nature can do this just amazes me.  And not only are there the big ones, but all over the place are other smaller ones, some vertical, some horizontal, sticking out from cliffs and forming the ceiling to caves.  You walk maybe 300 metres along the beach just marveling at the intricate patterns formed by the cooling lava.  At the southern end of the beach there were some rocks and columns out in the crashing surf, and a small archway leading through to the other side where I thought there were more puffins.  The tide
seemed to be going out, so I timed my run through the archway and just made it through and onto the rocks on the other side before the next big wave came in !   Once through I started wondering if the tide was really going out – Or was it coming in ???!!!   Anyway, I spent a while clambering on the rocks, but could get no further round due to the waves, so no puffins, and had to make do with some photos of the towering rocks in the surf, and then made a dash back to the main beach.  Wandering back along the beach, there were a few seals playing in the surf, and moving along at about the same speed as I walked, so they stayed with me for a while.  Then it was back past the basalt columns to the car, and the short drive back up to the main road, past the little village with its little red-roofed church sitting under the mountains.  All very picturesque.  There is a lot of history to Iceland, and much if it is told through their Sagas, or historical tales, so I have tried to include photos of some of the details of the local history where possible.

It was on around the scenic coast, with snow capped peaks often carved into amazing shapes by erosion – And endless source of interest as one drives through the countryside.  We then dropped into the little town of Vik, with its own little red roofed church perched high on a hill above the village, and splendid views north along the beach to the other side of the cliffs jutting out to the sea that I had just been clambering around in search of puffins. Vik is Iceland’s southernmost town, and also its rainiest, but I lucked out and saw it in clear sunshine. And the beach, as usual, was all black lava sand – Dramatic, but not overly scenic compared to yellow sandy beaches more commonly found elsewhere in the world.

A quick cup of coffee to go, and the road turned inland almost immediately, providing even more variations in scenery, although always dominated by some kind of volcanic activity at some stage in the past.  Open coastal plains that look like grassland, but right below the surface is always the black sandy soil – Not a lot seems to grow there apart from the stringy kind of grass, and no animals are grazing out there, so its pretty bleak, even when the sun is shining !  The barren ground is the result of the eruptions of Katla under the M glacier, and the subsequent flooding of the low land below the glacier. 

Suddenly there is a rocky mound covered in hundreds of cairns – Laufskalavaroa.  It has to do with a farm once located here that was destroyed in an eruption, and the custom now is that everyone visiting for the first time should add a rock – The government even provides rock for people to use !!







About 20 minutes later another lava field seems to be covered with lichen of some kind, making it appear almost snow covered.  There is no where to pull off the road in many places in Iceland – Rough lava or soft sand is not the ideal parking area, and anyway, many signs request that one does not stray off the roads and paths due to a very fragile ecosystem.  But I will investigate this “lichen” later – It is quite reminiscent of ground cover we have seen in the Arctic before in other countries. 

As I continue I pass enormous cliffs of rock all along the road, with sloping scree slopes below them. Houses and sheds nestle in the shelter of these rocks to provide at least a little protection from what I am now realizing is a constant strong wind blowing off the icefields to the north.  By now I have left the smaller Myrdalskull icefield behind, and am now coming under the influence of the enormous Vatnajokull icefield – The world’s largest ice cap outside the poles, at 8100 sq kms. The National Park of the same name is Europe’s largest protected reserve. It is the approximately 30 outlet glaciers that make this coastline scenery so dramatic, as many of them are both visible and reachable from the main ring road.  Individually they may not be so dramatic to look at, but when you can see 5 or 6 separate glaciers at one time, and from a main road, that is stunning and unique. 

All along the road there are waterfalls coming off cliffs, all from glacial melt water. And along the way I find a place to stop and inspect the lichen on some other rocks – It is amazingly spongy, unlike the harder lichens in the Arctic and elsewhere that I have seen.  I also notice several small holes with debris outside them – Obviously something lives in them, but I have not seen any small animals running around.  Have to keep my eyes open……



Eventually the black lava plains open up, and with no grass cover here, the wind of the glaciers whips the sand into a frenzy, with it pouring across the road.  One can hear it hitting the sides of the car – Almost like a sand storm in the Arabian desert.  At times vehicles in front almost disappear into the dust, and the car is rocking as I drive along – But trucks or motorhomes would have fun along here.  At one point I stupidly open the driver’s window to take a photo, and before I realize my mistake and have managed to make the electric window reverse and close again, the car is full of sand !   Whoops !

A regular feature of Icelandic roads are the frequent one way bridges, some of which are quite long.  The rule is that the first car there has the right of way – And fortunately there isn’t much traffic so it is rarely an issue.  But some of the bridges are quite long, so one has to really peer ahead to see if anything is coming, especially when the visibility is decreased as during this wind storm.




I finally reach the outlet glacier outlet at Skaftafjell, and decide to head off to the glacier.  Despite being 2.30 pm, it was bitterly cold, with the very strong wind blowing down off the glacier.  People were struggling to get jackets on in the wind, so most people ran to the sheltered information centre and donned their jackets there – Myself included. I set off along the path to the S glacier, about 2 kms, and it was so cold in the head wind which was so strong that one had to lean into it to make any progress.  This was getting to be reminiscent of the continuous winds in Patagonia, but even colder !  Eventually I reached the end of the path – but was still someway back from the end of the glacier, so I set off across the moraine gravel, following the marker poles.  Unfortunately there is again a melt lake in front of the glcier face, so it is not possible to reach it. At the end I struck up a conversation with a couple from Maine who were on a short Iceland stopover on their way to Germany, and it made the walk back to the car park go by much more quickly – Although with the wind now at our backs, it was a much easier and warmer walk !

For the next hour or two the road continued with the snow capped mountains to my left (with the enormous Vatnajokull icefield invisible on top), and the barren coastal flats to my right.  The wind still blew, and by now the temp on the car gauge had dropped to minus 0.5 deg C – And with the wind chill it would have felt much colder.  The almost endless view of glaciers coming off the mountains was a sight to behold.  At one point I passed what  seemed to be an expedition 4 wheel drive vehicle parked close to the road, with a tent pitched that was flapping mightily, despite being in the lee of the car, and having several guy ropes tied to the car.  It seemed an odd place to be parked – Maybe they had hiked back into the mountains ?

Suddenly, through a gap in a low moraine hill on my left, I momentarily spied a lake filled with ice bergs.  I could not believe it, and wondered what on earth I was about to see.  The guide book states “Even when you are expecting this surreal scene, its still a surprise”.  Well, I wasn’t even expecting it, so it totally blew me away !! 

I was at Jökulsárlón, and under a clear blue sky (who’s a lucky boy then ?), you find this blue lagoon, with snow covered mountains in the back ground, and the lake is filled with icebergs !  These icebergs calve from
Breiøamerkiurjökul, an offshoot from Vatnajökull, and can then spend up to 5 years floating in the 25 sq km, 260 m deep lagoon, melting, refreezing, and occasionally toppling over with a loud splash, before eventually moving down Jökulsá, Icelands shortest river (all of 200 metres !), under the road bridge and  to the sea. You can walk along the beach beside the bergs, and if the are close / big enough, you can sit on them for a photo.  A totally wild and unique experience. Magic. Despite the freezing wind !!

I considered camping in the car park along with several motorhomes, but the wind and the cold were too much, so I headed on round the coast.  I thought maybe by Hofn it might be a little more sheltered.  The road continues with the fantastically shaped mountains on my left, with more arable type of land becoming evident.  Where there is this kind of grassland, soothing much is grazing there – Maybe it is just hay for their long winter  - everywhere sees the big plastic-covered bales being stored, so maybe that’s what it is.  I also see deep ditches dug down all the fields – Almost like fences elsewhere.  I found out later that this ground is always soggy, so may they really are dug just to drain some of the water away so the hay can grow ? All fields in Iceland have these big ditches, though. 

Also LOTS of trumpeter swans and some kind of big geese everywhere in the fields, all over Iceland.  Not many sheep or cattle, but lots of swans and geese everywhere, and increasingly more and more Icelandic horses with their thick shaggy coats and long manes. On past some more enormous glaciers coming down out of the mountains, I even saw my first reindeer in a field, although I think they might have been domestic ?  Then it was into Hofn where I drove around looking in vain for a camp site – Well, I found it, but it was closed !  I drove around town and out round the fishing boat harbour, but unfortunately everywhere had “No Overnight stay” signs, written in English.  So after wandering around for a while, I resigned myself to a night in the wilds beside the road somewhere, and headed on out of town. 

The stunning coastal scenery continued, so it was not difficult driving, but by now I was getting quite pooped, so I was looking for the “perfect spot”.  As I have said before, it is difficult to get off the road, with many of the laybys being tiny and right beside the road – Not my cup of tea.  We went through a tunnel under a mountain, and eventually I found a big area off the road – Someone already there – Bugger.  But up a small rise, just 100 metres further on, there was a dirt
trail up to a lighthouse right on a headland, so I followed it and came out right on the top of a blustery hill !  So much for a camp site out of the wind !! And they don’t put lighthouses on nice safe headlands – they are usually on the most desolate and windswept points along the coast !! And this, at Eystrhorn, was no exception !  I had to sit in the car, and couldn’t use the stove, so it was cold baked beans straight out of the can for supper – Something I used to enjoy but haven’t had for years – They were actually pretty tasty !  And I quickly made up the bed in the back, and, with the car rocking and rolling in the wind, tucked myself up in my sleeping bag plus the duvet that comes with the car rental, and was soon asleep, warm as toast.

When I had to get out for a pee half way through the night, I thought it looked a bit “whiter” out there, but was so tired, I didn’t really think about it.   I would find out what was going on when I awoke in the morning !!

No comments:

Post a Comment