Friday 13 May 2016

0511 Advocate Harbour to Seafoam


Friday 13th May 2106
Tidal currents, inlets, and an open camp site !

I woke up at 6 am to my fifth day of clear blue skies !  For this part of the world, especially at this time of year, this is quite special, so I am enjoying it to the fullest.  Blue skies does not mean warm – the wind is still very cold, and while the apparent temp reached about 17 today, it never felt warm while I was out of the car !  Last night I had finished the rest of my scallops for supper, and then was in bed and asleep by about 8.30 pm as I was really weary.  So when I woke up at 6 am, I was well rested and ready for whatever Friday 13th would bring !

After leaving my lonely (but very good) camp site, I decided to back track a couple of kms to a track I had seen signposted to “Cap D’Or”.  Mentioned in the guidebook as a great lookout over the Bay of Fundy, I went up an increasingly steep and narrow dirt track for some 5 kms until I eventually came out up on the cliff top over looking a part of the Bay called the Minas Channel, which is famous for some tremendous eddys and rips where the rushing incoming tides strike land, causing great downward waves which can take a vessel onto the rocks – Thus they are called the Dory Rips.

There is actually a small 4 bedroom guest house and a restaurant right down at the bottom of the cliffs – But guess what ?   Closed !!  Would be quite fun to stay down there and watch all the currents for a day or two, especially in a storm ! I mentioned yesterday that I had seen quite a lot of beaver activity along the way – Well up here apparently they used to have giant beavers about 8500 years ago ! There were some information boards about copper mining on the cliffs in the early 1900’s, and also traditional folklore of the local Mi’kmaq Indians who knew all about the giant beavers – and called them Glooscap. 

After wandering around the headland for a while, and watching the incredible patterns on the ocean surface caused by the tides hitting the rock face, I set of back down the trail, to head NE along Chigneto Bay towards Amherst.  When I dropped back down to Advoocate, I saw a little path down to the beach, so went down there to have a look at the long pebble beach that extends some 5 kms around the bay – If lying on the beach, you just have to be careful of the tides, as usual round here !


From there it was on up the coast, but as happened yesterday, the road runs some distance inland, and you are surrounded by trees so see little – On the map the road looks as though it runs right along the coast !  In Amherst, quite a big town, I went in to buy groceries and wine – I was completely out of a few things, and it is hard to find what you want in some of the smaller villages, so I took the chance to stock up while I could, as well as refuel at as good a price as I have seen so far in Canada.  A couple of locals came up for a chat in the car park, and then I set off again, looking for a place to stop for lunch – Which I eventually found beside a river – with the usual mud banks indicating the high tide point.  The bread rolls I bought today were a lot better than the “Acadian” ones I had got a couple of days ago – They had had a bit too much bread in a small roll ! Todays were “just right” !

Then it was on down the road, often passing Lobster restaurants along the way – They are everywhere – And on over countless mud-banked tidal inlets until I came to a place called Pugwash !  Saw lots of portly people who might have been the Captain, but didn’t spot any of his crew !!

A lot of agriculture along this top bit of the coast, locally termed “Northumberland Shore”, and the beaches are also quite popular in the summer, apparently, because the waters between Nova Scotia and Price Edward Island are some of the warmest north of the Carolinas, with an average of over 20 deg C during the summer. But the water I felt today didn’t seem anywhere near 20 deg !

Finally through the pretty little town of Tatamagouche, and although it was only about 3 pm, I felt it would be a good time to stop – If I could find an open campsite with wifi and showers !  Not far up the road, in a little place called Seafoam, I found what I was looking for, and when I went in the office and asked if they were open they said today was their first day open !!  Mostly for locals with caravans or 5th wheels on site for the summer, today it is just a few people setting up for the summer, so there was plenty of space.  The showers were excellent, but I am not so sure about the wifi, which doesn’t seem to work very well at all, and keeps dropping out.  I will keep trying,  but if it doesn’t improve, it really will be a visit to Tim Horton’s tomorrow, as I have everything ready to upload – Just no wifi !



A very pleasant day today – Nothing exceptional to see,  but a great drive around the NW corner of NS on a sunny day.  Turned my music up, and sang my way along the road most of the day !

No comments:

Post a Comment