Wednesday 11 May 2016

0509 Marvilette Beach to Annapolis Royal


0509 Marvilette Beach to Annapolis Royal
11th May 2016
Mink, churches, and scallops

I had an excellent breakfast with Russ and his wife and friends, and then headed on north up the coast.  Once again it was a clear blue sky – Hopefully this will last for a few more days yet.  I mentioned yesterday that this area is very French, or Arcadian, anyway, with the original settlers having come from France in the early 1700’s, and then trying to settle here.  But with the British also trying to have influence in N America, the French never had too much peace, but today their descendants are certainly making their presence felt.  French is everywhere, with signs predominantly in French and occasionally in English, with boulangeries beside the road, and the Arcadian Flag everywhere – This is the French tricolor, but with a star up in the top corner.  In fact many houses not only have the flag flying outside, but also have a big star on the wall of the house.  My first thought when I saw it was that the Star Bellied Sneetches (Dr Seuss !) lived here !!  (Edit – I found out about the flag today – It is called the Stella Maris).





The Nova Scotian flag is also prominent (a cross of St Andrew – The Scottish flag really), as well as the Canadian Maple Leaf national flag.  Very patriotic, this lot !






Having bought some fresh bread rolls from a little bakery, my next surprise was to see a sign advertising “Mink Compost” for sale !!  I have to admit I have never seen mink compost before – Wonder if it is any good ? 









Shortly afterwards I came round the corner and there, after only seeing houses for many kilometres, was the most enormous church with a tall spire that looked more like an Austrian Castle than a church – Most out of place.  I drove up but it was all closed, and was apparently a museum, that of the Church of Saint Marie. (Edit : It is tallest wooden church in N America, built in 1903.  There is also a French University nearby).  I could find out very little else about it, so continued up the road – and not 10 minutes later came to the little town of St Bernard where there was yet another enormous church.   This one was open, so I was able to go in and find out more.

Built between 1910 and 1942, the outside is made of granite blocks that were hauled 120 miles by ox cart, shaped by hand, with apparently one layer being laid each year.  The inside is even more bizarre – It is totally plaster over wooden lathe, but has been designed to resemble stone inside. It certainly is a major construction, but after seeing old churches and cathedrals in Europe so recently, this comes across as a very fake attempt to re-create the architecture of Europe.  The seemingly wrought iron lamps inside are in fact wooden and painted silver to look like metal, the
wood is very obviously sheet wood nailed in place – Sorry, it just didn’t work for me.  I understood from Russ over breakfast this morning that the French came over here and were trying to build Catholic churches to establish their position here, while the English were apparently coming over here building Anglican churches in competition, and I can start to see that here.  I passed though some very small villages today that had several churches all beside each other.  Once I saw sign posted to “Church Hill” had 5 or 6 separate churches all on the side of one hill.  All most odd.

I then passed around the little town of Digby and turned west down a spit of land that just out into the Bay of Fundy.  I had thought that it might be an interesting drive, however it turned out that the road was actually in the centre of the spit with trees on either side, so that apart from occasion glimpses of water, it wasn’t very scenic at all.  I got to the then where there was a ferry across to the last part of the spit, and although I didn’t go on the ferry, it was fascinating to watch.  The flow of water between the two land points is VERY fast – especially since the Bay of Fundy has some of the largest tide rises in the world.  As a result, as soon as the ferry left one side, it had to crab its way sideways across the inlet, with engines going flat out just to prevent it being carried away on the tide.  And then when it suddenly got into calmer water near the opposite bank, the skipper had to throw it in reverse to get it into the landing ramp at a reasonable speed.  Fascinating to watch from up on the hill !

From there I went on round the end of the spit to Whale Cove – Which had very little of anything except a little cove – And a nice looking camp site, although it was a bit too early to stop !  Coming back up the road towards Digby again, I saw evidence of beaver activity, but didn’t spot any beavers.  I also found a delightful spot beside a lake to stop for some lunch – There aren’t too many stopping places around here, so I grabbed this one as soon as I saw it.

Then it was on into Digby – Apparently the Scallop capital of the world !!  I planned to buy some for my supper tonight – But all I could find were restaurants – dozens of them – all selling cooked scallop meals, as well as other seafood.  Eventually I went down to the wharf area and went into one of the seafood places and asked where I could by some fresh scallops, and they sent me all round the back of town to the only fish processing plant with a sales outlet !  Obviously most people just eat them in the restaurants.  1 lb of scallops, which was 22 good sixed ones, for Can $18, which I thought was pretty good.  Fresh off the boat last night, never been frozen.  So I popped them in my fridge, and set off again.

Digby actually has quite some history (like much of NS), with old Victorian cannons along the front, required due to the activity of Privateers in the area, plus of course the British / French war of 1793.  On a more peaceful note, the area pioneered methods for the efficient commercial harvest of scallops, and that of course its primary industry today.

I didn’t go far then I turned back out to explore yet another spit out into the Bay of Fundy – This time looking for a Balancing Rock that is supposed to be interesting.  However after about a 30 minute drive down the spit, I found out that the Balancing Rock is in fact offshore and you need to catch a small ferry out to see it – And the ferry doesn’t start till late May !   How hum, and it was back towards Annapolis Royal, and looking for a camp site. 

On the way out onto the spit earlier I had crossed a bridge under which the water was absolutely rushing through – You could hear it even with the car windows closed.  I saw a sign saying it was the only tidal power generating station in Canada or something – I have to cross it again tomorrow so will check it out further.  But they are obviously using the high tides of the Bay of Funday for power generation.


Saw an interesting sign for this County of Annapolis – “Naturally Rooted”, it says.  Given the Australian meaning of the word “rooted” (it means “useless” or “totally knackered”), I had a good chuckle at that one !  But there are certainly some very elegant and stately homes in this area, and one sees them all over the place.  So not too rooted, then.




Just outside Annapolis Royal I saw a campsite beside the water – Coincidentally right opposite the facility where they generate the electricity from the tidal flow that I had seen earlier.  There wasn;t a soul around, but the gates were open, so I wandered in and found a delightful, and very big camp site, right along the water’s edge.  I eventually found someone, and they said they weren’t officially open, but that I could just camp down by the water as long as I didn’t need any facilities.  Perfect !

So I set up right beside the water, and after spending some time working on the car (it was filthy after being  on docks and at sea for 3 weeks or so), and then I prepared my scallops.

THEY WERE DELISCIOUS!   I did try to eat them all, but just couldn’t, so  I still have enough left for tomorrow night ! An thoroughly enjoyable day, as usual with nothing happening that one expects, and with a clear blue sky to make it even better.  Going to need some wifi tomorrow though  - I may have to go into a Tim Horton’s for a coffee so I can use their wifi !!




Pics here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/6284564195048629265?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWhxZC285KfzgE

No comments:

Post a Comment