Sunday 29 May 2016

0520 Badger to Fogo Island


25th May 2016
Reflections, Beothuks, and Icebergs

My weather forecast had told me rain was possible this morning, so I was us early and almost showered and packed up when it started.  I had to wait till 9 am anyway for the camp gates to be opened, so I parked next to the office in the rain and blogged.  It was raining quite hard as I got on the road, but surprisingly stopped pretty quickly.  The first thing I noticed this morning was how the local deciduous trees have suddenly started to turn green, instead of the kind of dead looking brown they have been previously.  Must have been that burst of 25 degree sunshine yesterday !


The road to Grand Falls – Windsor (2 separate towns that amalgamated) was not desperately exciting, and nor was GF-W – In fact, I never even noticed the town !!  Then it was cross country still on Highway 1 for about 45 minutes before I turned north through Lewisporte, heading to Twillingate which is supposed to be very scenic, and located near the top of the string of islands at the NE corner of Newfoundland.




This B kind of road was in pretty poor condition, and they don’t seem to repair potholes, but just put up a sign saying “Pothole” !  So you are weaving your way in and out of quite deep potholes as much as possible.  However, scenically the road more than makes up for its poor condition.  You are basically driving up a string of islands with lakes and inlets on every side, and houses and jetties alongside the water with boats tied up everywhere.  After the rain earlier there was very little wind, and the surface of the water was so still and smooth that there were reflections everywhere.  If it had been sunny, it would have been stunning.

At Boyd’s Cove I turned off to the Beothuk Interpretation Centre which Kristen had recommended to me, and found it at the end of a winding road.  The Beothuk inhabited Newfoundland prior to the arrival of Europeans, and had a village here at Boyd’s Cove from about 1650 – 1720. However, eventual conflict with the new settlers over marine resources led to their dislocation and eventual extinction in the 1820’s.   There was an excellent display of the remains and lifestyle of the Beothuk here, with many
artifacts discovered during archeological studies here in the 1980’s, and then I took myself on a 3 km hike through the woods to the actual site of their camp.  The walk itself was fascinating through the woods, with evidence of beaver activity in places, as we as red squirrels and small rodents (field mice ?) running around.  The site of the Beothuk camp is now just a grassy area beside the sea, and with a fresh water stream running past it.  The grassy area still shows the indentations referred to in the signboards of the archeological dig, but the rangers there were telling us that most of the artifacts recovered suffer so quickly when exposed to air that they have decided for the moment to leave things the way they are.  But it really was a prime position for the Beothuk, with the sea for their fishing and hunting, fresh water, and lots of caribou in the surrounding area. A very interesting couple of hours.

From Boyd’s Cove it was on north to Twillingate, and a fog was blowing in rapidly across the water.  At first it was just very scenic, but as I headed north it got worse and worse.  We passed Dildo Provincial Park (they do have some classic place names round here !), and then crossed the causeway out to Twillingate Island. Through Twillingate I went out to the very end of the island at Long Point, and by now the fog had got quite bad so I could see very little.  But as I drove through the little township I looked down to my left and couldn’t believe my eyes – There was a great big iceberg right in front of the town !!

Now I knew that this coastline is known is Iceberg Alley, and every summer many icebergs from Greenland follow the coast down.  But it is very early in the season, and I had understood that there might not be many around yet.  But here was one sizeable one, pus a couple of smaller “growlers”, right in front of me !  Amazing.




I then drove up the hill at the end of the island and into a thick fog – In fact the lighthouse at the top had its (very loud) fog horn sounding every 60 seconds or so. It was a shame it was so foggy as the view from the top must be spectacular.  As it was I just had to peer into the gloom over the cliffs and imagine what it would be like on a clear day.   A couple of other icebergs were just visible through the gloom, while the temperature had dropped to 5.6 deg C, some 20 degrees cooler than it had been just 12 hours ago !

Due to the weather it wasn’t really worth exploring elsewhere in Twillingate, so I headed back down through the islands, surprised by how the scenery had changed no the fog was in, and rain started to fall.  Hopefully the sun will come out in the next day or so to enable me to see some of this scenery at its best.  But in the meantime, to swing round to the east to Fogo, an island that many people have told me to visit.  Unfortunately the weather doesn’t look too promising, but I don’t intend to come back up here on my way back across Newfoundland, so it is now or never.

There is a small ferry ride out to Fogo, and when I got there a bit of a queue had formed.  I arrived in the rain at 5 pm, and eventually found out that I couldn’t expect to depart much before 9 pm, which would mean a dark 10 pm arrival in Fogo.  Hmm, not my favourite, but hopefully I will find somewhere to camp as soon as I arrive and all will be well.  As the ferry crossing is only $11.60 for me (as a senior) and the car , I can’t really complain. Once we were all lined up, I decided a little supper was in order, and was pleased I had made that Spag Bol up last night – All I had to do was wrap it tin foil and steam it while the spaghetti cooked below.  Perfect !

Update – The ferry terminal man has just come by and said that the ferry is going to make a run to the Change Islands first, and then come back and run us to Fogo, so we now won’t leave here till about 10.30 pm.  Boy, Fogo had better be good !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment