Monday 16 May 2016

0513 Cheticamp, and then on to Sydney


15th & 16th May 2016
Put to work on a yacht !

It really was a very wet night.  At one point the puddles around my car had all joined up and it was almost impossible to get out without drowning !  I had the roof down (it was too wet to put my fly-sheet up last night), and everything was in the car, so it was quite a squash inside.   However, as so often happens in this part of the world, it was dry when I woke up, although only about 5 deg C, but at least I was able to get my breakfast and cup of tea and get packed up in the dry.  Even the puddles had drained away, and fortunately I was on gravel, so it wasn’t too muddy.

I went over to the Park Information centre to see if I could find anything more about the honour payment system for camping that is used in many Nat Parks, but could see nothing.  I was just leaving when a guy rolled up and started unlocking a door to the office, so I went over and asked, and he said not to worry about it since they weren’t officially open yet.  As usual we ended up chatting abut my trip, and he was very interested to hear about it.  He also gave me a few tips for the Park, and warned me that a black bear and two cubs were active around the camp site yesterday………

I then drove back into Cheticamp to see if I could find Gavin, friend of my friend from S America Robbie, who lives in Newfoundland and who I will be seeing next week.  He wasn’t at the Boatyard, so I eventually tried phoning him – It was a Sunday morning, after all, and he may have been sleeping in !
Well – He wasn’t !  He was already down at his yacht and applying hull antifouling paint – Not a fun job.  But he said come on down, so I did, and eventually found him in a different boatyard.

Gavin’s yacht is a 45 ft Catamaran that he has had for 2 or 3 years now, and in which he is about to set off around the world on adventures unknown !!  IN fact, he leaves in 3 weeks, and is going via Greenland, Iceland, Scotland and then down to Ireland where he will winter .  After that………???  He is going with his wife and 3 young children, and they have just sold their house and are in the last stages of preparation.  He is hoping to get the boat back in the water tomorrow, weather permitting, and from there he will sail it home to Newfoundland where he lives, load up and take off.  Exciting for him – I know just how he feels – so many things still to do, and not enough time left !!  But I am sure it will work out just fine, Gavin !

After standing around chatting for a while, it was obvious that Gavin needed to get on with his jobs, while his dad Fred and friend Nils were busy helping as well.  So what else could a man do but help someone else prepare to follow his dreams ?!! So I rolled up my sleeves (hypothetically – It was far too cold to roll them up really !), and was given sheets of sand paper and set to preparing the stripes down the side of the boat for painting.  We chatted as we worked, and it was most enjoyable – Especially when Gavin said it was time for lunch and we took off into a nearby restaurant for a quick lunch – Fish, what else in a seafood town like this ?
It was then back to work, and, helped by a couple of beers, we finally finished up at about 7 pm !  Hopefully all ready to put Water Dog in the water tomorrow.

During the day we had bought some prawns, and also met a local man who promised to bring over some of the local snow crabs for supper. This chap Ray owns some of the crab boats that are everywhere here, currently in the middle of their short 3 month season.  Apparently the boats bring in 25,000 lbs (over 11,000 kg) every second day during the season ! 

Anyway, we went over to Gavin and Fred’s rented lodge and on the way passed a big old moose standing in the bushes beside the road – My first moose of the year !   I then provided some of my favourite Chilean red wine from my cellar, and we waited on the crabs – Which eventually did not turn up, so we just had the very good prawns superbly cooked by Gavin, and pigged out while chatting about life and adventures and other such important things.  I then left Gavin and Fred to their beds, and went to bed in Troopie parked out in the drive way.  It was pouring with rain, and very windy – Not a good omen for putting Gavin’s yacht in the water tomorrow.

As usual in Troopie, I slept like a log, despite the wind blowing and the rain pouring down.  At about 7 am Gavin sent me a text telling me they were up and the kettle was on.  I went inside, had a shower, and soon we were ready to hit the road.  Unfortunately Gavin was certain that it was too windy to put Water Dog in the water this morning, so I decided to continue my journey north. But first I detoured via the bakery and got some fresh do-nuts to go with the coffee on a cold morning. And then I said my farewells and set off.  If they can get the yacht in the water, there is a good chance I will see them again in Newfoundland.

I drove out past (yet another) enormous Catholic Church in town, that must be able to seat the entire population of the town in the first 10 pews, and just on the outskirts of town I passed on of those amazing signs that put a smile on your face – And are supposed to, I suggest.   “Proud to be Hookers”, the sign said.   Yes, well………..   And what the 3 men are doing as they stand against the railing in the sign in front of the shop, I dread to think !

Right outside town the Cape Breton Highlands National Park starts, and immediately the road starts to climb past rocky outcrops, and then straight afterwards you come out onto the coastline and the road winds along beside the ocean as we drive up the north west side of Nova Scotia. Crab boats are busy right off the cliffs, and then we get held up for a while by road works where they are blasting the side of a mountain away to make the road better. (I was told by the park ranger yesterday that after many years of spending no money on the roads in the Park, suddenly funds have been released and now there is road works everywhere ! The wonder of Government,)

We then climbed up again onto a plateau as we crossed east across the top of the peninsula – Only 500 metres high, but very different scenery – Somewhat reminiscent of British Columbia of Alaska, and there are even frequent moose signs, although I saw no more today.  Some 45 minutes later I dropped down to the ocean again but this time on the eastern side of the peninsular, and then turned north up a partly dirt road some 30 kms up to the northern most community in Nova Scotia, towards Meat Cove, which I had been told was scenic and worth a look.

Looking at the map, this northern part of NS is right at the entrance to the St Lawrence Seaway which then goes all the way back to the Great Lakes.  With Newfoundland forming a similar block across the Seaway entrance to the north, and the ocean traffic has to flow between the two as it exits to the Atlantic Ocean.  As well as ships, a lot of sea life passes through here, and whales of all types can be found.  Whale watching tours are very popular up here in the summer.

And while I was driving up this coastline, there are many of the little crab boats all wheeling around in circles, almost seeming to crash into each other at times, as they manual retrieve the crab baskets, remove their contents, rebait them, and then put them back in the water again before rushing off to the next put, and circling it while the crew repeat the retrieval and baiting process.  And they are often so close in to shore that they almost look as if they will crash on to the rocks. But they only have a short season, and the licences to fish are very expensive, so they have to work fast to meet their quota.

I finally arrived in the little community of Meat Cove, and while it is all very quaint in a kind of end-of-the-road way, and has what would be a lovely campsite right on the side of the hill, I did not see a single person there !  There were a couple of cars, but everything else still closed – The restaurant, the shop, the camp site.  So after a quick look around I headed back south again, which my next destination being just down the road where I was led to believe they do an excellent clam chowder, to which I was going to treat myself for lunch.  I made a brief detour out to White Point to see what there was, and then headed onto to Neils Harbour for my chowder.

Pretty little fishing port, neat little old lighthouse on the hill, and there, beside the lighthouse was the chowder restaurant…….Yup, you’ve guessed it – Big sign on the door “CLOSED FOR THE SEASON”.  Hmmmmmmm.






Almost as soon as I left Neils Harbour it started to pour, and at one stage it was really heavy.  Then there was another clear spell (I told you NS weather was fickle), and passed some scenic views up some of the many ocean inlets along the coast.  And then the weather closed in again and I decided that enough was enough, and that I would try to catch the ferry across to Newfoundland tomorrow.  So as I dropped down towards Sydney, there were unfortunately no views of the enormous inland Lake that is called Bras D’Or, and it then rained for the whole of the rest of the afternoon.

In North Sydney I managed to get a confirmed booking to Newfoundland, and then headed slightly back out of town to a camp site I had seen signposted as “Open” on the way in.  This was also a place where you could get Puffin tours, which I am still keen to do, but when I eventually got to the campsite, I was told that their boat was currently undergoing repairs so there were no tours available currently out to Bird Islands, where the puffins are.  They also suggested that no one else in the area was currently running any tours either – Hmmmm again !

Maybe the ferry tomorrow will pass close enough to the islands so we can see some ?

A wet and cold (3 deg C at 7 pm) night in a very wet campsite.  Now looking forward to Newfoundland, and if what Gavin and other people have told me about it is even half true, it sounds fantastic.  I am looking forward to it …..and hoping for less rain !!


No comments:

Post a Comment