Monday 30 May 2016

0523 Dead Man's Bay to Elliston


28th May 2016
Rain, snow, cold – And PUFFINS !!!

Puffins have always been one of the major items I want to get up close and personal with on this trip, and after a couple of minor meetings in Homer Alaska 4 years ago, today was the day.  But a lot was to happen before then, so I will come back to the puffins later !

It had rained a little during the night, but was more or less dry as I packed up – But once again bitterly cold at about 2.5 deg C, and the wind, so I ate my breakfast inside the car !  Left this great wild camp site beside the sea and with more icebergs than ever headed south for the summer this morning !  But before I had gone very far up the road, it started raining in earnest, and was to do so for most of the remainder of the day. 


For much of the first couple of hours I was either in forest or beside lakes or ocean inlets. The forests are a bit boring because you cannot see anything past the first row of trees, and there were a LOT of them.  But it was still very scenic with all the lakes, and I can only imagine how spectacular this would have been in the sunshine.  Ah well, can’t have black wine gum days every day !!  Further south I actually went through the northern tip of the Terra Nova National Park before turning eastward up a peninsula towards Salvage.  I had it marked on my map as somewhere worth visiting that someone along the way had told me about, and I needed something for today to brighten things up, seeing the weather was so bad ! 

Shortly before Salvage I crossed over a long causeway and that was beautiful despite the weather, with islands all around and cloud covered hills in the distance.  And then I dropped into Salvage – And if I hadn’t seen some of the beautiful little fishing villages up in Fogo I would have been gobsmacked – As it was I was still pretty impressed.  The rest of the drive had been so “normal”, and then suddenly you drop into these incredible little fishing towns nestling around these amazing natural harbours that help to protect them from the worst of the wild weather on this east coast of Newfoundland, and it is all such a contrast that it takes your breath away. 

Salvage was first used by Basque fishermen in the early 1600’s, it was eventually settled by more West Country merchants, and is one of the oldest continually inhabited communities in N America.  Today fishing continues to be the mainstay of the little town, although more tourists are gradually finding it.  Some of the scenery around the many inlets and rock cliffs in town are just sublime, and at one stage I watched a couple of fisherman coming in from a mornings work in their little boat.  As they came in I followed them around the bay until I saw them dock and start unloading a catch of lobsters by hand into the plastic bins for taking ashore.  Time almost stood still for half an hour while I watched them.

As I left Salvage, I passed another fisherman on his own, pulling up his own lobster pots.  It was obviously his last pot of the day, as once he had emptied it he sat back and zoomed off up the coast towards home.  Such a peaceful and picturesque setting, despite the weather. The fishermen were all well rugged up in oilskins !!  Then it was back across the causeway I had crossed earlier, and for a while I was back on the main highway that was heading towards St John’s, along with much more traffic throwing up spray from all the ruts in the road. 

I have to say that the condition of the roads in Newfoundland is atrocious.  I know they have snow and cold, but so do Alaska and BC and other places, and the roads there are no where near as bad.  Even the main highway is bad, but any of the smaller highways that go off round the coast are in truly dangerous condition, with deep potholes that are so plentiful in places that they are largely unavoidable, especially if you have oncoming traffic and can’t use the other side of the road !  You really have to concentrate all the time to make sure you miss the big holes.  Sometimes it might be easier (and cheaper) for them to just leave the roads as gravel and just grade them regularly during the summer months ……..

I turned off the main highway at Port Blandford and headed up the large Bonavista Peninsula towards – er – Bona Vista !   There are a couple of places at the end of this peninsula that are supposed to be absolutely gorgeous, and since I heard a rumour that the sun might shine again tomorrow, I may as well try to see them.  In fact the weather on this east coast of Newfoundland is renowned for by the worst in the area, with a lot of rain all year round, and strong winds. So far, it was living up to expectations !  Most importantly (for me) is that at Elliston there is a large Puffin colony that is one of the largest in the country during the summer months, but I had heard that a number were already there, nesting.  I have ALWAYS wanted to see puffins, and so this has been high on my list for a while.

The scenery driving out along the peninsula was still very wooded, but when there were lakes, they were drop dead gorgeous.  For some reason, maybe the warmth of the past few days, the lakes were all steaming in todays cold temperatures -  The highest temp I saw today was about 4.5 deg C !!   With the seasonal colours of the grasses, and the steam rising off the water, I had to do U turns several times in order to go back and get the photo. 

I arrived in Elliston at  about  3 pm, and set off looking for a camp site that was marked on my map.  I had to go out on really small (and even more atrocious !) roads on the other side of Elliston and finally came round the corner and there was the camp site – Nothing fancy, but it was a camp site.  The attendant at a gas station back up the road a little had told me that it was supposed to snow tonight, but there was still a chance it would be fine in the morning !  I asked the office about the puffins and they said they didn’t think any were in yet, but the place was just up the road.  So after checking in, I set off up the road.

Elliston is also the Root Cellar capital of the world – I have mentioned the underground storage places for vegetables before, but here they seem to have it down to a fine art – They are everywhere ! And so are the instructions about who built which one, and what is the correct / best way to build one ! So wandering up the road past the camp site in the rain, I not only find many root cellars, but also, eventually, the puffin viewing area.  I hadn’t really dressed for a long hike, so was a bit surprised when I found that to reach the viewing area one has
to walk right out along a series of cliffs until you come to the abrupt (and very steep) end – and there only a short distance in front of you, across this chasm, is another cliff top covered in nesting puffins !  They nest in holes, and this early in the season they are just arriving and busing making nests as well as making baby puffins to fill the nests ! 

I was now very cold, and as it was still raining quite hard it was really difficult to get the camera out quickly, shielding the lens from the rain, and then put it away again before it got rain drops on it.  As a result I didn’t get very good pics of the puffins today, but hopefully tomorrow will not be raining…….
One of the funniest things with puffins is how they fly – They are a bit like a cross between
a parrot and a penguin, and fly by flapping their stumpy little wings extremely fast.  Taking off, they are almost like a vertical take off plane – sitting on the ground flapping like crazy until suddenly they have lift, and rise vertically upwards !  To stay airborne they have to flap equally hard, especially in the strong winds, and then they come in to land a bit like a helicopter, whirring their little wings and yet descending vertically every so gracefully to the ground.  I was in fits watching them.  I was also extremely happy.  I have found my puffins at last.

I then went back to the camp site and set up – It was already only 2.5 deg C at about 4.30 pm, so I was glad of an electrical plug where I could plug in the little heater that my sister in Anacortes gave me some 2 years ago, and we last used in Alaska because it is only 110 volts (ie no good in S America or Europe).  And so I sit tonight in the car, toastie warm, even though by 8 pm it was down to 1.4 deg, and was actually snowing !  What a place !  I wonder what the weather will be like tomorrow ?  I know it will be cold – That is OK, but it would be nice to have it dry for a while so I can spend some quality time with my puffins !

No comments:

Post a Comment