Tuesday 3 May 2016

0506 Reykjavik Iceland to Halifax, via New York and Boston


1st / 2nd May 2016
Cold, rain, and a l-o-n-g flight to Canada.

My last Icelandic night in the van in Pingvellir National Park was a cold one.  I got up during the night and it was raining, but must have been below freezing because when I touched the car it was solid ice !   And despite a little bit of red sky last night, it wasn’t very fine in the morning.  So I packed up, tried to sort out as much stuff as I could in preparation for returning the hire car, and then headed off towards Reykjavik.  I had decided to get closer to my final destination in case anything happened, and then to explore a bit around there depending on how much time I had.





Being pretty overcast didn’t make it too enticing to get out and wander around, but on the way south I did stop and get a coffee and a local hot dog, which are very popular up here.  It wasn’t bad – Bit like Norwegian ones, actually – and went very well with a mid morning cup of coffee.




There was also a fresh sprinkling of snow (yet again) evident on the hills that I could see, but the weather was changing very quickly.  A little bit of sun, then rain, then heavy rain, and then the clouds would lift a bit, etc etc,  At one point when passing a volcano beside the road, one minute I could hardly see it, and then a couple of minutes later it was as clear as a bell.





Once I got down to the little peninsula on which Keflavic and the airport is located, I turned up north and went to the very top of it, as the guidebook inferred there were some interesting sights up there.  At the very top, at Garöur, is the windswept Garöskagi Headland, supposedly one of the best places in Iceland for bird spotting. It is a big breeding ground for sea birds and its often the place where migratory birds first touch down, while seals and even whales are often seen from here.  Well, I could only see about 3 birds there, and they looked like regular old ducks to me, so once again I think I might be a tad too early to see everything !

One of the two lighthouses there, with the square tower, is one of the oldest in Iceland, built in 1897, and it is still located right out on the point, while the newer round tower which is still in use was built in 1944 and is still active today.   Also out on the point is a great free camp site where it seems a number of rental campers were spending either their last or their first night in Iceland.  





From there I tootled down the road a little further and passed the site of an old US Army base.  I had actually driven down this bit of road when I first arrived in Iceland but as I was heading to the Blue Lagoon I hadn’t even realized this site was here !  This time I sent in to explore this old base that was built in 1941, although there was only one building still there as far as I could see.  But Keflavik Airport, today the main international airport for Iceland, is the old US wartime airfield.  Obviously from its location in the N Atlantic, Iceland was seen as a key location during the war.

From the old camp, I then drove around the area, past all the lava fields and the geothermal power stations where I had been the first day here, and eventually got to the hire car place where I packed everything up and then was taken to the airport to catch my flight out.

I was sitting in the departure area waiting to board when a familiar face comes up and says Hi – It was the young American Matthew that had I met on the walk above the Skogafoss waterfall last week !  Since that walk when we had met, he had left Iceland, spent 2 days in London, and was now on his way home via Reykjavik airport again and had remembered that I was to be in the airport at the same time, and had come to look for me at my departure gate.  I could not believe the coincidence – And how nice it was of him to come and find me to say Hi.  Made my day !

Once we boarded, the flight to New York left on time.  Interestingly enough I was seated next to a young South African, James, who it turned out was headed down through Central and South America, on buses !  So we had a good chat about what a great trip he was going to have, and I was hopefully able to tell him a few things that he will find useful on his journey !  Our conversation made the flight go incredibly quickly, and in what seemed like no time at all, we landed at JFK airport.

After getting through the process that is involved in arriving in the USA with queues and questioning and fingerprinting, I then unfortunately had some 15 hours layover before my onward flight to Halifax Nova Scotia.  Why so long ?  Well, to get the cheaper flights I had had to book the two sectors separately, and this meant that if I had a short connection time and my first flight was late so I missed the 2nd flight, I would forfeit my ticket.  So I opted to wait for the another flight the next day, even though it meant a long lay over. To save money I didn’t go to a hotel, and in the long run it wasn’t too bad.  I not only found a seat, but with my soft bags I even made myself quite comfortable and actually got some sleep.  There was also an all night Diner right beside me, so I was able to get coffee etc, and in the morning had an excellent breakfast before catching my onward flight (via Boston) to Halifax.

I finally arrived in Halifax at about 7 pm, caught a taxi into town to my hotel, and slept very well in an excellent bed for the first time in a few nights !  Now all I had to do was contact the shipping people and find out when I could get Troopie out and get on my way !

No comments:

Post a Comment