Thursday 28 April 2016

0501 Blue Lagoon to Skogafoss


26th April 2016
Auks, Mud Pools, and Waterfalls

Slept like a log in my new house, and after a quick breakfast I headed off to Valahnukur on the coast, where I found not only lava fields, but also dramatic cliffs and layers of lava ending right at the water, with amazing shapes and patterns.  There is also an island just off the coast which has thousands of seabirds nesting on it, and then further offshore, invisible in the misty rain that was falling, is the sialnd of Eldey, home to the largest colony of gannets in the world.  Additionally the island is famous for being the scene of the death of the last Auk in 1844.  There is a statue to this last Auk, among the stunning rock formations on the coast.


From there it was a short drive over to a geothermal area with bubbling mud pools, incredibly noisy steam vents, and myths about  ghosts who haunt the area.  There is also an enormous geothermal power station there, which normally conducts tours for the public – Unfortunately from June onwards !







From there it was on down to Seltun and more bubbling mud pools and steam, before heading on down the coast past some beautiful Icelandic scenes in the afternoon sunshine and blue skies (yes, the morning rain had cleared – This really is a 4 seasons in one day country !), including my first Icelandic horses, which are very distinctive (even to me with no horse knowledge) with their long manes and shaggy thick coat.  I had left the geothermal area behind and was now heading into waterfall country !


The first waterfall – Or rather, series of waterfalls – was Gljufrabui.  I went there first because a camp site was advertised – But since it was closed, I wandered up to the waterfall for a look.  This one is hidden behind a narrow opening in the rocks – Through which you can enter if you want wet feet etc.  I decided to head further down the road to the bigger falls and see what they were like – Much bigger !  There was a lot of spray and people were coming back to their cars soaked, so I dressed appropriately and set off.  As I got closer I could see that the wet people were going right round behind the falls, and since I was dressed, off I went.  Bit of a slippery clamber down, and very wet behind the falls, but a stunning walk round the back, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

After drying off, I decided to go on down the coast in search of a camp site, and it is a very scenic drive because the smaller Icelandic icefield Eyjafjallajokull is visible up to the NE as you drive down the coast, and it is this that is feeding these waterfalls.  The coastal drive is as scenic as everywhere else, with tall cliffs on the left, and an agricultural plain between the cliffs and the sea.  I finally reached the falls at Skagafoss, and set off to explore.


A coachload of schoolkids arrived just as I set off, and as they went to the foot of the falls, I decided to climb the steep stairway up to the top of the falls – Whew, that was quite a climb !  The views from the top were good, and birds nest in the grassy cliffs as they do everywhere in Iceland.  Then I noticed the path continued up further into the hills,  so off I went, following the valley, and there was waterfall after waterfall all the way.  It was quite cool out of the sun, but still a very pleasant time for a walk, made more so when a young lad from Tennessee, Matthew, asked if he could walk with me.  He was a lot younger and more energetic than I, but we had a pleasant walk chatting about all sorts of things.  When I decided to turn around, he kept going for a bit more, but
 eventually caught back up with me as I neared the top of the big falls.

Once we got down, and had a look at the (now uncrowded) base of the falls, Matthew took off while I decided this would be a good place to spend the night. There is a camp site there, but it is closed, however when I asked at the local restaurant they said it was OK to camp there – So I did, with the falls thundering in the background.  A delightful spot for my second night in Iceland 

Pics are here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/6278682596174994449?authkey=Gv1sRgCP-UiZLq9vXXJg 

No comments:

Post a Comment