Monday 2 May 2016

0505 The Golden Circle


30th April 2016
History, Geysir, and another waterfall !

It was freezing again when I woke up – Ice on the grass type freezing.  But I am very snug and warm in this little van, with my own sleeping bag plus a duvet supplied with the camper.  Today was my last full day, and I was going to explore the “Golden Circle”, a well known group of attractions in the Pingvellir National Park, within easy reach of Reykjavik. As a result they tend to get rather crowded as they are a “standard tour” for the many people who make a short one or two day stop on the way from the US to Europe. But the guide books speak highly of the attractions (an historical site, the first Geysir, and the Gullfoss waterfall), so after my breakfast I set off.  There had been no northern lights last night despite the clear skies, but this morning there were still blue skies with a light cloud cover.

First stop just a couple of kms from my camp site was Pingvellir.  Ping means “Assembly” or “Parliament”, and Vellir is “fields”, so basically this is the Parliament Fields. In fact it was the world‘s first Democratic Parliament in 930 AD established by the Vikings. The meetings were held outdoors with people coming from all over Iceland, and the setting is further enhanced by the immense fissured rift valley formed by the meeting of the North
American and Eurasian tectonic plates, along with rivers and waterfalls, which forms a dramatic back drop to the entire scene.  Eventually the Ping was stripped of its legislative powers by the Norwegians in 1271, although it functioned as a courtroom until 1798, with power eventually being moved to Reykjavik in 1843.  Finally it focused as the centre of the country’s first (Pingvellir) National Park and was made a Unesco World Heritage site in 2004.



Walking up the path along the tectonic plate boundary is dramatic, with the plates tearing at each other at a rate of up to18 mm per year. The resulting formations and scarred rocks, together with the river Öxará flowing through the middle, make it an impressive entry to a site that is Iceland’s most important historical site.  A small pool in the river was used to drown women found guilty of infanticide, adultery, or other serious crimes, while a small fissure on one side was where 9 men were accused of witchcraft and burnt at the stake.

Central, and just below the fault line, is the Lögberg, or Law Rock, forming the centre of the annual gathering, and from where the laws were recited to the assembly below. This site is now marked by the Icelandic flag.  And in this morning’s clear sunshine, the views over the surrounding countryside, up to the mountains in the background, were superb.  I wandered around, trying to keep away form the large numbers of tourist coaches that parked up at the Visitor’s Centre (think tea towels, lumps of volcanic rock, fridge magnets and Icelandic woollen goods etc etc for sale rather than
“Information” !)  And of course there were the usual Selfie Brigade jostling for position at the front of the viewing area.  Yuck.
But away from the madding crowds, it was very impressive, and I wandered over to the little church in the valley which, although this building only dates from 1859,  was originally the site of one of Iceland’s first churches in the 11th century. 




Wandering along the trails back to the car park I passed more of the geese of which I had seen so many around the country, but this time they seemed quite used to humans and just stood by the path as I went by.  

Once away from the Pingvellir, it was about an hours drive to the next attraction on the circuit, Geysir.  On the way I made a detour to have a look at Bragabot, one of many old volcano sites right beside the road around here.  I was also passed by yet another enormous monster van on its massive (and very noisy) tyres – It sounds like an aircraft as it approaches and passes you !





Geysir is supposedly one of Iceland’s most famous tourist spots – I say “supposedly” because I think that title is only because it is within reach of the many day trippers from Reykjavik – I certainly didn’t find it particularly impressive, but that is just my opinion. In a small town of only a few buildings is the most ENORMOUS Visitor Centre, car park, and food hall – Yup, think tea towels, lumps of volcanic rock, fridge magnets and Icelandic woollen goods etc etc again, but this time on an even bigger scale !) – I actually think the Visitor Centre is bigger than the Geothermal area over the road !  Lots of monster trucks in the car park that had brought tourists out, and I think almost as many people were taking photos of them as of the geysir !!

Geysir actually means “gusher” in Icelandic, and is where the world “geyser”, now used around the world, comes from. It has been active for some 800 years, and once gushed water up to 80 metres into the air. However, it has now been dormant since 1916 !   Luckily there is a much smaller, and more regular, geyser alongside, called Stokkur, which erupts every 5 – 8 minutes.  However it now only shoots about 10 – 15 metres into the air, with about every third “eruption” being more of a minor “burp” of just a few feet !  I must admit that the first time it erupts is quite fun, but for me the best bit was watching the crowd who stand around for up to 8 minutes with their fingers on their camera buttons, Selfie sticks at the ready as they look over their shoulders, and in TOTAL silence – I was dying to call out “Say Something” to break the silence !!  There is a short walk up past other minor bubbling pools onto a nearby hill to look over the area, but it is a very short (and crowded) walk.   Hmmmmmm.




I understand there is talk of instituting an admission fee, and if I had to pay to see this attraction, I would feel ripped off, so after the obligatory photo of the monster trucks, I was off down the road to Gullfoss.




Gullfoss is apparently Iceland’s most famous waterfall (like the Geysir being Iceland’s most famous tourist attraction ?!), and while it is certainly a fine waterfall, once again the Selfie stick brigade were out in force, brought out from Reykjavik on the many big coaches up in the car park – And once again there is a “lower” coach park as well, to enable the “less active” day trippers to view the falls without having to walk very far.  But there is no doubt the falls are good, with two distinct sections – The upper falls of 11 metres in height, and the lower falls of another 20 metres into a narrow canyon.  Ironically in the 1920’s the falls were almost destroyed when a team of foreign investors wanted to dam the river to build a hydro-electric plant, but fortunately local residents were able to protest successfully, although the local farmer’s daughter had to threaten to throw herself in the falls if the project went ahead before it finally failed.
 
Smaller “Visitor Centre” here though, which was good !!  Ha ha.

By now it was only 3 pm, but I decided to go back to the same pleasant camp site as I had been in last night near Pingvellir, so I just drove slowly back across the NP.  On the way the only thing of interest was that I was nearly involved in a very nasty accident when a local decided to overtake me in a white Skoda while another car was coming the other way – I hooted, the oncoming car hooted, but we both had to go into the gravel (and almost in the very rough and rocky lava field just to the side of the road, which would have been interesting), while the idiot in the white Skoda STILL continued to overtake in between us as if nothing was the matter, waving to me as he passed.  Never saw any driving that bad anywhere in Central or South America, or anywhere else.  Unbelievable primarily because instead of pulling back in line, he just barrelled on through regardless.

Back at the campsite I took the time to download a few pics onto the computer (no wifi), and even bought a beer from the small shop. I have been very good this week, having only previously had a beer when I had the pizza in Myvatn.  I then went to bed for my last night in Iceland, wondering what I would do tomorrow in the few hours before I had to return my car.  And there were certainly not going to be any Northern Lights tonight – It was cloudy again and trying to rain !

Sorry to be a litle cynical today, but I think the Golden Circle pales into insignificance compared to the sites around the rest of Iceland, and doesn't deserve the hype it is given. Just IMHO.

 Thought for the day - If "Lögberg" means "Law Rock", what does "Iceberg" mean ?  Along with geysir, lots of words come from the Icelandic !!



No comments:

Post a Comment