Wednesday 18 May 2016

0515 Port Aux Basques to Rose Blanche, then on to Cape St George


18th May 2016
Definitely a black winegum day – FANTASTIC

Definitely a 5 WOW day !!   Today was just one of those amazing days, that started off so well, and then got steadily better until by the time I stopped in the evening, I was breathless.  What do they say ?  Life isn’t measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.  I could hardly catch my breath all day – And then to finish it all off, I had the most excellent steak, washed down with my favourite Chilean wine, Casilera del Diablo, Devil’s Edition, Reserva.  And just to top it off, when I went in to the liquor store today to replenish my stocks after they had got diminished in Cheticamp last week, they had it on special !  How good can life get sometimes ?????


I didn’t wake up till 8.30 am !  Lulled by the music of the rushing river beside me, I had almost slept 12 hours, and then when I looked out of the window it was a clear blue sky with the sun shining down through the fir trees.  Woohoo – Newfoundland was turning it on for Giles ! It was still cold, but when the sun is shining, who cares about the cold ?  I breakfasted, got everything packed up, and hit the road out just before 9.30.  Had a chat with the Park Ranger – The park officially opened today so last night was the last free
camping there – and then drove on the dirt road a few kms back to the main road, and turned east, back towards Port aux Basques.  The road east along the southern coast is supposed to be beautiful, but one that few people see because it is a dead end in the bottom corner of the Province.  Past P aux B and suddenly my jaw dropped further and further.  This rugged coast line (you can see why Newfoundland’s nickname is “The Rock” !) was just breathtaking in the morning sun, with the sea down to my right, and blue blue lakes beside the road everywhere. It looks as though a glacier just passed this way yesterday, forming the rugged landscape. 

I passed Burnt Islands (planning to explore more on my way back) seeing quite a lot of snow still remaining in the shadowed parts of the hills, and eventually reached the 3 combined townships of Rose Blanche, Harbor Le Cou, and Diamond Cove, that have a combined population of 620.  There is a serious problem of people leaving and townships closing down round here because it is such a remote and difficult area – In fact, beyond Rose Blanche there are a number more townships along the coast that have no road – The only access is by boat.  Fishing is the business down here, and in today’s sunshine all the little townships looked absolutely glorious with their brightly painted houses and boatsheds nestled around natural harbours.

I drove down through Rose Blanche to the end, where there is a walk out to the old lighthouse, built in 1871.  I had spied this from the road earlier, along with a miniature copy of the lighthouse building, but I hadn’t realized I was going to be able to get close to it.  While the sun may be out, the wind was bitter, and very strong, so I had my fur hat on for the walk out to the lighthouse and around the rocks.  Not a soul in sight – It was just the most beautiful and peaceful walk for about 40 minutes, imaging what it must be like here in the winter, or even when the sun is not shining.  This is a wild part of the world.

After driving around the little lanes of Rose Blanche, I paid a quick visit to Harbour Le Cou (it only has one street that ends at the jetty !), and then detoured into Diamond Cove.  Once again, the most delightfully picturesque little village nestling around its harbour – I spent some time just sitting beside the harbour watching the crab boats and fishermen coming and going.  So peaceful.




Back on the main road headed west again back towards Port aux Basques, I past a waterfall back of the road, - Barachois Falls – And went for a quick 2 km hike there and back – Very pleasant walk.   Then on to Isla aux Morts which , as those of you who speak French will know, means Island of the Dead.  Apparently there were so many shipwrecks around here over some 400 years.  There is a trail here called the Harvey Trail that runs along the cliffs, named after a family famous for many daring shipwreck rescues. Once again, just the most picturesque little village, and I am so lucky to be able to see all this on a beautiful day like today.

After leaving Isle aux Morts I stopped to make some lunch with a view looking back down over the village to the ocean.  Perfect spot.  Then it was back into Port aux Basques to the supermarket to replenish my food and booze stocks due to the coming weekend being a long holiday weekend, and I am not sure what I will be able to get.  I am also heading up tomorrow to see Robbie and Kristen who I met in S America, and this weekend we plan to go up into the Gros Morne National Park. Hopefully Gavin will be off the coast in his catamaran (great news, he got Water Dog in the water yesterday) so if the weather holds, it should be a great weekend.

Once restocked, I head up the west coast towards Stephenville.  I had heard that there was good camping out on Cape St George, and this would leave me with an easy run up to Corner Brook tomorrow.  While this main road is not quite as scenic as this mornings route, it is still excellent, and I drove out past Table Mountain (flat topped !) and Twin Peaks (obvious from the photo how they got their name !), and then more blue  lakes beside the road.  At about 4.15 I turned off the main road and headed west towards the little peninsula that ends out at Cape St
George.  I first headed to a supposed campsite on the north side, but found it was closed – On enquiring I was told it opens this Friday !  This time there was a big gate across the entrance, so no way of entering, so I headed on round the coast with just spectacular views of St George’s Bay and later the Gulf off St Lawrence to the west. 



At a place called Mainland the road suddenly left the coast (there were a couple of rather large mountains in the way) and went steeply uphill and into forest.  On the other side of the mountains the road dropped back down, right at the tip of the Peninsula, at Cape St George.  And there, right on the tip, on spectacular cliffs overlooking the ocean, was a small wooded park where “Camping is invited”.  The views off the cliffs were perfect in the evening sun,
and I found a little sheltered spot where there was hardly any wind at all.  To top off the day I cooked a steak that was absolutely perfect (more to do with the quality of the steak than with my cooking, I thing, but at least I didn’t ruin it !), washed down with a glass of my favourite red. 




What a sensational day.  And I have to say, if Newfoundland is like this everywhere else, it is going to seriously look like one of the most spectacular places on the whole journey so far.  I am so excited to see what else this Province has to offer over the coming days. 







Pics here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/6286436407093418177?authkey=Gv1sRgCNfa36TKr5WUlQE

No comments:

Post a Comment