Friday 22 July 2016

0564 Cascades Nat Park to Anacortes, Washington


14th July 2016
My last mountain pass as I finish my 2 ¼ year adventure.

No one else came to my small campsite in the forest last night, so I had a very quiet last sleep, and slept like a log. Before opening the door this morning I checked to see if any interesting wildlife was there (like bears, about which there were lots of signs) but no luck.  Nothing.  Made my cup of tea, had my cereal, cleaned my teeth and myself, and I was on the road before 8 am.  It was to be an easy drive today, through the Cascade National Park and through to my sister’s place in Anacortes, in the San Juan Islands.  I had driven this almost identical road on the last day of my 2012 trip in the Lotus, but that time it had been raining and overcast, and while it had been a magical drive, I had missed a lot of the sights.  Today was a clear blue sky right from the start, so I was looking forward to seeing what I had missed last time.

It was a pleasant morning driving through the rolling hills to the east of the National Park, with snowcapped mountains ahead of me gradually getting closer – and larger !  First spot on the route is the crazy little town of Winthrop, which seems to have been left 100 years behind so that you almost expect to see cowboys riding down the street on horseback.  Most of the shops and stores are typical wood fronted buildings, with old signs hanging out the front like “White Buck Trading Co”.  The gas station just has a couple of pumps under a wooden awning, and then, where the main road takes a sharp left in the middle of town, you are faced with the Winthrop Emporium – “General Merchandise, Goods & Sundries”.  The big semi-trailer unloading goods right outside kind of spoilt the effect, but it is still a good old country town, and attracts lots of interest.

I had noticed an extremely large number of big RV’s and 5th wheels as well as Harley’s etc on the road this morning, and just outside Winthrop found out why.  Today was Thursday, and starting on Friday morning was the weekend annual Winthrop Blues Festival – And the big fields set aside for the festival were already filling up with campers who had come for the festival.  Sounded like a fun event, and at least they were going to get good weather for it.

Along the North Cascades Scenic Highway, and through the Okanogan National Forest, (I find it odd that when in Canada it is called the Okanagan Valley, then as soon as you cross into the US, it becomes Okanogan – I might have to google that one to find out why !), and the road started to climb upwards, with Troopie continuing to struggle without a turbo to boost her up the hills. We passed the Cutthroat Lake Trail with gorgeous snow-decked mountains now outlined against the blue cloudless sky, and some impressive peaks that I was to find out
later were the Liberty Bell Mountain. After going round a hairpin bend I had amazing views back down the valley I had just driven up – An obviously glaciated U with jagged peaks all the way along the sides.

Shortly afterwards I saw a sign that this was the Washington Pass at 5477 ft, and then there was another sign saying “Washington Pass Overlook” – Well, it might be worth a look, although “Overlook” didn’t sound that impressive.  I parked the car, got accosted by a couple who asked the usual question – “You really from Australia ?” “Yup”.  “So what’s New Zealand like ?”.   I am getting SO tired of that question – No one asks what Australia is like – All they want to know is how New Zealand is !  So I gave them my usual story about how highly we think of Kiwis, explaining that was like me asking an American which part of Canada he was from and what he likes best about Canada ! Then I wandered off up the trail towards the “Overlook”.

And WOW !  That is one highly impressive Overlook !!  First of all you stand on a cliff edge (with a railing !) with the road snaking up the pass below you up to that hairpin, and the Liberty Bell peaks towering above you in the sunlight.  Absolutely breathtaking, partly because it is anyway, and also partly because it is such a surprise – You just walk round this corner and then without any warning, there they are.   One then wanders along the sheer cliff edge (with railings !) getting different stunning views of the mountains and the valley below.  Just brilliant – Especially since it is still only 9.30
am !! A great way to start the day.

I then wandered on round the short walk back to the car park, and headed back out to the main road again.  I don’t remember seeing any of this in 2012 – All I remembered was that it was a fun road to drive along – SO I am really pleased I have come back again.  The great winding road continued on through the forests and past more mountains, through the Rainy Pass (!) at 4855 ft, and with the mountains first having a kind of misty haze around their peaks, and then having a more complete cloud halo around the tops.  Just beautiful countryside to drive through on my last day on the road.

About 20 minutes later I came round the corner and got my first view of the turquoise coloured Lake Ross.  Compared with the view 4 years ago, this was slightly better !   Hydro electric power provided by 2 dams built in this area of the Skagit Valley provide a major portion of the electricity for the Seattle area, but that doesn’t stop them from being scenic at the same time.  I would around Lake Ross, and then round Lake Diablo, before seeing a turn off that looked like it might take me down to the dam below, so I headed down the narrow road, and came out right on the dam itself !

There is a one lane road over the top of the dam, with spectacular views up over the lake as well as down the Skagit River below.  I would love to see the dam when they are releasing water as the spillways look more like ski-jumps, and must shoot the water out into the valley in spectacular fashion.  After wandering up the road for a while, which ends up in an information centre about the dam, I then headed back out to the main road, and drove down the Skagit Valley beside the river which also forms Gorge Lake on the way.  From there I would down into the plains and across to Burlington through increasingly built up areas.  I soon got to where I knew where I was and it was only a short run up over the Swinomish Channel bridge, into Anacortes, and up to my sister’s house.

So – that’s it !  Kind of a big anti-climax to just STOP after doing all that I have done and been to all the places I have been, and seen all the things I have seen, and met all the wonderful people I have bumped into along the way.  It was great that Janet was able to join me for so much of the trip – Alaska, Central and much of South America, and then most of Europe and Morocco.  We had a lot of laughs and some great times along the way - It gets awfully lonely out there sometimes when you are on your own.

Now the focus is on getting Troopie cleaned up ready to ship to Australia.  I shall detail that because there have been some amazing developments in regard to trying to get her shipped out, so don’t go away.  There is going to be a massive Twist in the Tale (apologies to Jeffrey Archer !) before this story is finished !  And on Thursday I am flying down to Houston for 10 days to see daughter Sarah, her husband Benn, and my wife Janet who is currently there – All to celebrate grand daughter Olivia’s second birthday.  So I am looking forward to that immensely.   And as for the dramas of cleaning, packing, and shipping back to Australia, stay tuned – It isn’t over yet !!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the trip, Giles. I have enjoyed every bit of it - thanks for sharing it with all of us who have followed your journeys. I look forward to seeing what is ahead for us through that tunnel (above) :)
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete