Wednesday 13 July 2016

0562 Vavenby to Lac Le Jeune PP


12th July 2016
Lots of waterfalls !

During last night and this morning, Ed and Sarah strongly recommended I go to Wells Gray Provincial Park which was only just down the road from them in Vavenby.  I had never even heard of it before, but then there are lots of places I know nothing about !  After breakfast and a few bits and pieces, we took a couple of photos to make sure we remembered which car I had come in this time (last time I was here l was in the Lotus), and then I headed off down the road.  They assured me that several of the waterfalls and sights were within just a couple of minutes walk from the car parks, so I planned a quick visit before heading on south.

In Clearwater I turned right and headed into the Park, and I decided to go to the falls at the far end first, and then work my way backwards.  In the middle of the park I crossed over a little one lane bridge above the “Mushbowl”, and then continued north in the park to Helmcken Falls.  As promised by Ed and Sarah, these were just a short walk from the car park, and were spectacular.  Some 141 metres high (nearly 3 times higher than the US Niagara Falls), they fall into the gorge below and have scoured out
massive areas behind and beside the falls over the years, while the constant mist / spray from the falls ensures that the rocks on the side of the gorge are covered in bright green moss and grasses.  A stunning sight for the first falls of the day, and already I am glad Ed and Sarah insisted I came here.






From there it was back down over the little bridge over the Mushbowl, where the river is a real maelstrom as it narrows down between the rocks under the bridge.  And below the bridge are lots of circular holes carved in the rock by water eddies in the past, although currently the river does not flow over them. 






Next it was to Dawson Falls, where the Murtle River drops over lava flows that date to about 200,000 years ago.  These falls aren’t so high, but they are over 100 metres wide, so are yet another spectacular (and easily reachable) sight.








After that
I stopped at Moul Falls,  and without thinking set off along the trail in the sunshine that was getting warmer with every minute.  I had discarded my jacket by now, but perhaps I should have worn shorts ?  I had walked for about 10-15 minutes along a relatively easy path, and was beginning to wonder where these falls were – They certainly weren’t close to the car park !  Then I found a sign saying it was still another km to the falls – I found out later it was about 2.9 kms each way, and the last part was much narrower and steeper !  Still, I kept going, and eventually was rewarded with the sight of
the falls – Completely different from the others, these are not so high or wide, but you can clamber down over the rocks and walk behind the falls if you want – I didn’t because by this time I was starting to get worried I wouldn’t get back !  My legs were starting to stiffen up, and, thinking it was only a short walk, I hadn’t brought my water..  SO I just enjoyed the view from half way down, and watched lots of youngsters going behind the falls and getting absolutely drenched !  









It was about 2 pm by the time I made it back to the top, and I was well pooped, and needed some time in the car with the a/c on drinking cold water before I set off down the road to my last port of call – Spahats Falls.   Before stopping there, I saw turning to the Shaden Lookout, which was excellent, giving a view right up the Clearwater Valley.  Then I went back the short distance to Spahats Falls – Previously known as Bear Falls, and Spahat is the First Nations name for Bear.


At these falls you can hear the river down in a deep gorge beside you as you walk along the path, but you can’t see anything because the gorge is too deep and steep sided.  Eventually you can see through the very high walls of the narrow gorge down to the Clearwater Gorge ahead, but you still can’t see the falls.  Eventually you walk round the rim of the gorge and look back to the falls, which I found the most impressive ones of all simply because of the depth and narrowness of the gorge into which the fall.

They're only half as high as the Helmcken Falls, but because they have already cut through about 70 metres of rock, they give the impression of being much higher.  And the walls of the gorge clearly show all the different lava layers that have been laid down by successive volcanic eruptions 400,000 years ago, before they were then carved out by glaciers 20,000 years ago, and are
now being shaped by the river.   After walking back up to the car park, there was a man cooking delicious smoked hot dogs, and by now I was so tired I didn’t have the energy to make any lunch, so I had a hot dog instead.  And it was excellent !
Overall and excellent explore in the Wells Gray Provincial Park, although there are a lot more trails and hikes etc to be had in the park – I only scratched the surface.  Thanks to Ed and Sarah for recommending it.









It was about 3 pm by the time I got out of the Park and back on the main road at Clearwater, so it had taken a bit longer than I had expected !  As a result I decided to head south on the main road, and once past Kamloops, I took the Freeway south towards Merritt because I had spotted some camp sites down that road in another Provincial Park., and I wanted to get there as quickly as possible.  The freeway 5 south out of Kamloops is quite a long steep climb up to some 4500 ft,, and poor old Troopie was really struggling to get up the hill – I had to go into 3rd gear and then just stay at about 60 kmh most of the way because she just doesn’t have the grunt to pull her up the hill in 4th.  Normally she would have romped up here in 5th at 100 kmh or more………….

Thankfully reached the top of the pass, and almost immediately found the turn off to Lac Le Jeune Provincial Park, and drove just a short distance off the freeway past a number of smaller lakes before finding the Park.  As usually for Canadian Provincial Parks, well laid out, clean, and all very pleasant.  I had a quick supper and it wasn’t too long before I was thinking of bed.  It had been a far more energetic day than I had anticipated – but pleasurably so – and I was looking forward to a good night’s sleep !

Pics are here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/6306872416333245025?authkey=Gv1sRgCJuhwPLi4965dA

No comments:

Post a Comment