Sunday 10 July 2016

0559 Mt Robson to N Thompson River Provincial Park


9th July 2016
Glaciers, and plenty of bears !

After a chat with Hildegard and Franz, we said our farewells as they head north to Alaska and I go west to Seattle – And then met 5 minutes later down at the dump station where they were doing one thing while I was filling up my water tank with drinking water !  I realized I didn’t have a photo of them yet, so took one at the dump station !   They could be coming out to Australia next year, so that might be the next place I see them !  I then went up to the Information Centre to get some wifi so I could book flights to Houston in 2 weeks time for grand daughter Olivia’s 2nd birthday, sitting outside and admiring Mt Robson while I worked.  Very pleasant morning.




Just before I set off, a group of tourists came over for a chat – They were Belgian and had seen the Belgian stickers on my car ! Unfortunately they spoke Flemish so we had a bit of a difficult conversation, although when I told them Janet’s maternal grandmother came from Belgium, they were fascinated !
Then I hit the road – And five minutes along, I suddenly noticed my engine warning light had gone out !  For a moment I thought Troopie had fixed herself, but unfortunately my gauges tell me I still have no turbo boost, so while she is certainly doing a little better on the hills than she was yesterday, she is still only a shadow of her former self power-wise.    But at least I don’t have to stare at that engine warning light all the time now !

There were some big mountains off to my left as I came down the road – Then I realized that of course I was driving down the back side of the Rockies, almost parallel to the road I had driven north on yesterday up through the Banff / Jasper NP.  But the 3505m Mt Sir Wilfrid Laurier and  3219 m Hallam Peak were covered in snow and glaciers, and very imposing. I kept seeing very colourful signs to a River Safari at Blue River, with great pictures of bears. There were so many signs that when I finally got to Blue River and the sign said “Turn Here”, I did !   I wasn’t sure what I would find, but it was time for a sandwich anyway, so at worst I would just do that.

As soon as I turned off the road, along with 2 or 3 other cars, we were held up by a very slow moving goods train crossing the dirt road ! Eventually the very long and slow train went through, and we carried on down the dirt road – To find a very substantial facility with work shops for Jeeps (that do a land safari) and then a ramp down to a big floating office and restaurant with lots of little kind of jet boats tied up.  It seemed to be manned mostly by Aussies who work in places like this in the summer, and then either go skiing or work in the snow in the winter !  They persuaded me that the adventure was worthwhile, so I signed up, and after a while it was my groups turn, and off we went.

They kit you out with life jackets and big ponchos for the rain, (and it was raining half the time !) and then off we went.  Just up the river was an Osprey’s nest up in the top of a tree, and then we headed up towards Mud Lake.  While it is located “near Blue River”, this area around Mud Lake is in fact the world’s only inland temperate rain forest, and due to the lack of roads and other human infrastructure round here, it is a prime place for (mainly) black bear.  Not 5
minutes into the lake, we spotted our first bear on the shore, and they shut the main boat engine off and use a small electric trolling motor that allows the boat to silently follow the bear along the edge of the water. This is fascinating because normally you can only watch a bear cross your path and disappear again – this time we could follow them along the shore – and we did, for 10 minutes or so.  Fantastic !

Then we set off around the lake, with a few intermittent showers to keep us company, although with the big ponchos I have to say I didn’t get wet at all.  We found a waterfall hidden in the trees over on the far side of the lake, and then 5 minutes later spotted our 2nd bear, wandering along the rocky water’s edge looking for berries.  They force themselves through the bushes and sometimes dense undergrowth as they make their search, occasionally stopping for a small feast when they find a good bush.  In fact, when you are trying to spot a bear from the boat, you don’t look for a bear, but for a shaking bush, because once they get in a bush there is no mistaking all the movement they make !

It took us about 20 minutes before we spotted our 3rd bear, and by then it was raining quite hard, so photos were difficult, so we mostly just watched him as he fossicked along the shoreline.  Unfortunately it was then time to head back to the base, but on the way past the Osprey’s next (same as a Sea Hawk), he / she came in to land on the nest.  Our guide was telling us that Osprey’s mate for life and always come back to the same place each year to mate.  (They migrate to S America in the northern winter.)  This spring, when the snow and ice
(the lake freezes solid) melted, the people here found that the Osprey’s nesting tree had broken and collapsed into the water.  Hoping not to “lose” their Ospreys, they climbed a nearby tree, chopped the top off it and nailed a couple of boards up there as a platform.  And sure enough, when the Ospreys came back for S America, they built their nest on the new tree !

This whole part of the world is really so beautiful, and it is on days like this that the beauty and wonder of nature is just reinforced.  I thoroughly enjoyed my hour or so out on the lake with the bears – Very special.

I then headed back up to the road and continued south, even seeing yet another black bear and her 2 cubs as they ran across the road in front of me !  She was so quick I never even got my camera turned on in time ! I am heading towards Salmon Arm tomorrow, still some 200 kms away, to meet some friends, but I was getting weary by about 5 pm, and as abput 5.30 saw a sign to a camp site in the Northern Thompson River Provincial Park.  Despite being a Saturday they still had plenty of room, so I set up and cooked myself some Pulled Pork and veggies for supper – Absolutely delicious and a good variation from my normally limited range of cooking !  After my supper a delightful family came over for a chat and we had a great time with dad Jeremy and daughter Kylie. Kylie turned out to be a very knowledgeable young lady and not only introduced me to some of the delicious berries growing on the bushes all around me (no wonder the bears like them !), but also knew a surprising amount about the oil industry that she had learned at school, even naming Mud Engineers !!   I told her if she ever made it to Australia with her family to look us up !  Great meeting you all !

That was enough excitement for one day !!  Off to bed.

Pics are here :-  https://picasaweb.google.com/110185357936043625130/6306869851193661265?authkey=Gv1sRgCKHey5aN7I3SUA

No comments:

Post a Comment