Thursday 7 July 2016

0557 Still in Banff


6th July 2016
More work on Troopie, and some great bike rides.

Well, I left you in a coffee shop this morning while Banff Diesel worked on Troopie.  I was hoping for a 100% cure, but have to be satisfied now with about an 80% cure.  But the day was excellent for many other reasons.

After I had finished my coffee and the rain had cleared away, I set off on my bike to find a couple of trails that were well marked on the local map. First, as it was closest to town, was Fenland Trail, just a 2.1 km trail through a wooded area along the side of the Bow River. I passed an area where the Banff Canoe Club hire out canoes for people to paddle up the river (you can’t go down the river – There is a waterfall !), and immediately passed that spot, I saw a movement in the bushes………….It was a big elk with a full rack of antlers, still covered in their velvet !

I have left a series of photos in there because you can then see how a sighting develops.  First you see a movement in the corner of your eye, and then as you look closer you see more, and the whole moment develops in front of your eyes.  That is what I love in this part of the world – even in downtown, touristy Banff – You can have incredible wildlife moments that you rarely get anywhere else.  I stopped and got off my bike and just stood there and watched as the elk slowly came up onto the path, munching the local flora as he came, almost totally oblivious of me.  He slowly turned and walked down the path away from me, while a couple who were coming the other way quickly got off to the side of the path behind some bushes and waited as he came towards them.  He was magnificent.


As he sauntered along the path, I eventually got to the other couple and even though they were locals, they were speechless – He had come almost right up to them before veering slowly off to the right.  Eventually he walked out of the bushes and just crossed the main road right into the carpark of a local hotel where there was some delicious looking grass right outside the front doors – The hotel visitors couldn’t believe their luck !   It was some 30 minutes between when I first spotted him to when he went into the hotel carpark, and it was just a great half hour. 

After that I continued along the pathway next to the river, with people in canoes passing me and having lots of fun.  Eventually I completed the loop and ended up back a the Canoe rental place, where, on listening to one of the guys talk, I said “Where are you from ?”.  Darwin !!!  Darren (or was it Darryl ?  Sorry – my memory is getting so bad and I know he’ll read this ! Email me !!)  from Darwin !  Such a nice lad, has been in Banff for a couple of years, working the snowfields in the winter, but starting to get the itch to move on. So in between him getting families into canoes and on their way upstream we chatted for a while and passed a very pleasant half hour or so,  Wherever you end up going, mate, just enjoy it. 

I never realized it, but the Bow River actually starts up north of Lake Louise at the Bow Glacier, and then, after flowing through Banff flows NE across all of Saskatchewan and then across Manitoba, and eventually empties into Hudson Bay as the Nelson River right there in Churchill where I went looking for polar bears 2 years ago !!  So I have seen both ends of the river !





After leaving the canoeing I headed in the other direction, following the river down towards the Bow Falls, which are right underneath the Fairmont Banff Springs, set in a beautiful position in the trees.  It was quite a steep ride on the bike up to the lookout over the falls, and as I hadn’t ridden the bike since ????? Newfoundland ???, I was feeling quite weary by now, having probably covered some 20 kms or so since leaving the car at the workshop this morning.  But I felt so good for doing it. I should have done it yesterday. 

By about 1 pm I was feeling decidedly puckish, especially since I had had a minimal breakfast this morning because I had forgotten to get milk for my cereal last night !!  And I had been very good at the coffee shop earlier, not succumbing to any of the tasty offerings on display !  So I decided to go back to the bar where I had had an excellent burger yesterday, but today I had the elk burger instead of the beef, at the bar man’s suggestion.  It was very good, but I think cow has got it over the elk any day !!  Just IMHO !  Maybe I was still feeling a bit close to the elk I had spent time with this morning !!

After lunch, I decided to cycle back out to Banff Diesel and see how they were getting on.  It seemed much further going back out there after all the cycling I had done, plus it started to rain quite heavily on the way !   When I got there it was good and bad news.  They had found a LOT of gunk in the engine – Just build up over the many kilometres of particulates and other stuff that gets left behind in the combustion process – I think they were rather surprised how bat it was !  They had cleaned it as much as they could,
and certainly the smoke (of unburnt fuel) coming out of the exhaust pipe when you accelerate is a lot less, but unfortunately the engine error light is still on.  This means that there is still something wrong in there, and, more annoyingly, while the light remains on, the engine is in “limp home” mode, which means I have very little power down low, or when climbing hills.  We tried all sorts of things to get the light out, and I even went back to the garage who helped me yesterday, and they managed to get it out – For about 5 minutes !  Then as soon as you rev the engine at all, the light comes back on.

I am speaking to a company in Edmonton who may be able to help me, in which case I will have to drive to Edmonton.  I will speak to them again tomorrow.  There is no point in going back to Calgary (which is closer) because it is Stampede week, so most things are closed while everything is overbooked and overcrowded.   So I intend to wander up through the park tomorrow to Jasper, and by then should know whether I turn right to Edmonton, can head north to Alaska as planned, or have to turn left to Seattle and give up and ship the car home.  As you can imagine, very frustrating.  I just don’t know enough about diesel engines, so I have to rely totally on mechanics, who are very expensive !  This hiccup is hurting my budget !

So, after a quick shop (for milk and a few other things !), it was already past 4 pm so instead of heading up through the park tonight, I decided to have one more night in the Tunnel Mountain Campground, and leave early in the morning and see how Troopie handles a day on the road……  We shall see.

In the meantime, a delicious steak for supper, followed by a 30 minute bike ride around this enormous campsite, (hey, the bike is clean and back in action now, I may as well use it !!), I got ready for bed.  Not quite the day I wanted car-wise, but a great day around Banff regardless.  There really is a LOT to do here if you want to get out and find it – I can see why this enormous campsite is nearly full all the time.  The town itself may be a bit yucky and touristy, but there are so many trails and hikes, some even right there one block off the centre, that offer very pleasant scenery and adventure. Considering I wasn;t even going to stop here, I have softened my opinion on Banff.  Keep away from the main streets and it really has a lot to offer so that you could spend a couple of weeks here exploring quite happily.  


No comments:

Post a Comment